Acronis True Image 9/ 2 HDD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by RuHe, Jun 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RuHe

RuHe Registered Member

Hi,
    i have 2xHDD, 1 ATA, 1SATA
    ATA=1Partition,
    SATA=2Partition
    WINXP is on one part. >SATA
    Acronis told me, the >Pri.,Act. is the > ATA
    and the 2part. of the SATA are > Pri.

the question:
    if i make a RESTORE, can i do that to any one HDD and Partition?
    I have a new PC, and have trouble with the backup restore.

i hope, you can understand all this, and sorry for the bad english!

thank you

RuHe

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

As I understand this, you have Windows XP installed on the first partition of the SATA drive.

Where are you storing your backup images? On the ATA drive or the second partition of the SATA drive or on an external drive?

You can restore an image of a partition to any partition that is large enough to accept the amount of used space, but normally you would only restore an image to its own partition or to a new, replacement drive.

Does that help?

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello RuHe,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

Yes, Acronis True Image 9.0 Home allows you to do a bare-metal restore, i.e. restore the beforehand created image archive to a replacement hard drive in case of the original hard drive failure. In case the entire hard drive image is going to be restored restoration process does not require any additional actions. However, if you are going to restore an image of a single system partition rather than the image of the entire hard drive then we recommend that you use Add New Disk Wizard (see Chapter 13 of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home User's Guide for details) to re-create the same partition layout on the destination disk as it was on the original hard drive (the sizes of partitions can in fact be different but the quantity should be the same) prior to restoring the image. We also recommend that you restore your system to the partition of the same number it was originally residing on. Otherwise, you will need to make the appropriate changes to your boot.ini file. Please see these previous threads for details: auto logoff problem, Re: Mr.

Please also note that if you are going to restore the image to another computer or hard drive of another type (e.g. restore image of IDE disk to SATA hard drive or image of a single hard drive to a RAID array) then we recommend that you prepare Windows for transferring using Microsoft System Preparation tool (Sysprep). However, even in case of using Sysprep we cannot guarantee the successful transferring of the operating system to a computer with the hardware configuration different from that of the original machine. The point is that Sysprep allows replacing drivers only for Plug-and-Play devices (sound cards, network adapters, video cards etc.). As for system HAL and boot device driver, they must be identical in the source and target computers (see Microsoft Knowledge Base articles 302577 and 216915).

If you want to be completely sure that the restored operating system will boot and function normally then we recommend that you use Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation in conjunction with Acronis Universal Restore for your purposes. Acronis Universal Restore technology provides an efficient solution for hardware-independent system restoration by replacing the crucial HAL and hard disk controller drivers. Please read more information on how to use Acronis Universal Restore in Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation User's Guide.

We also recommend that you download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation to see how the software works on your particular software\hardware configuration.

If you want to obtain the free trial version of Acronis Universal Restore then please submit a request for technical support using Ask a question before you purchase Acronis software link. Explain your wish to obtain the free trial version of Acronis Universal and provide the link to this thread in your request.

If you still experience problems restoring the image to a replacement hard drive then please describe them in more details. We will certainly try to help you.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.