Acronis True Image 9.0 spikes CPU to 100% & freezes computer

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by FredricJLowe, Jun 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

2. FredricJLowe

FredricJLowe Registered Member

Thanks Tom,

Hitting F10 took me to Compaq Setup Utility, then Storage, then Boot Order

IDE CD-ROM Drive First
    Diskette Drive (A) Second
    USB DEvice Third
    Hard Drive C: Fourth
    Compaq Ehternet Controller Fifth

I have an internal CD player/recorder, internal DVD Player, and an external combo CD recorder &DVD recorder.

What am I supposed to do now to do what needs to be done to run this Memtest86+? Also, does it matter if I put the CD with the burned image of the iso file in the internal CD player or the external one?

3. FredricJLowe

Tom,

I have run Lavasoft AdAware and also Spybot over the weekend. No viruses were found with McAfee and now after uninstalling that off the internet installing Grisoft AVG7 Free Edition with updated definition files daily.

I did an incremental backup today after downloading and installing build 3854 and the CPU started to rise to 100% after about 15 minutes and then pretty much stayed there for the rest of the total 30 minute backup. Verifying it took another 1 hr 15 min. but the computer pretty much froze to a crawl when the CPU was at 100%. Acronis asked me to log this and send them print screens of the task manager which I did earlier. This was prior to my post about getting into the boot order. So I'll wait to hear what to do now to get into changing the boot order and finally running the Memtest86+.

4. thomasjk

Based on your boot order put it in the internal CD drive since its set to boot first.

5. FredricJLowe

I was successfully able to run Memtest86+ for 6hrs 48 min. overnight. The results showed: Pass 2 Errors 0. In case you need any other words from that screen I wrote everything down.

Any other ideas as to why the CPU will spike to 100% and freeze use of the computer during a backup and verifying?

I notice that sometimes it will also spike and stay at 100% on graphic intensive pages like MySpace or video, but that isn't always the case. Same when running a DVD through the Windows Media Player 10.

6. thomasjk

Looks like memory is OK.
    This indicates to me that you have windows problem that is exacerbated by TI. When this happens launch Task Manager and see what program is causing your CPU to spike. Have you tried running TI with your Anti-virus disabled? Some use on access scanning and may be slowing the process down.

7. FredricJLowe

Tom,

I haven't tried disabling AntiVirus since I am always connected to the internet and I run the scan at night when asleep. Is there anything I could do to correct this apparent Windows problem? And why would there be one? Is it a conflict?

8. thomasjk

You'll have to use Task Manager to find out which program(s) are causing the CPU usage to spike other than TI. Then do a Google search to find help.

9. thomasjk

The other thing you can do is run MSCONFIG and on the startup tab post a list of the items. You can also try turning them off one by one to try and narrow down the problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.