Acronis True Image 9.0 and External 160 GB hard drives

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by TomR, Jul 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomR

TomR Registered Member

I'm running Winodws XP Pro with Acronis True Image 9.0.
    I was wondering if anybody has an idea as to why this is happening
    First of all I have an external USB Seagate 160GB hard drive, and a Acomdata 160GB USB hard drive. I also have a 40GB Western Digital internal hard drive housed in a USB enclosure.
    The drive I'm creating an image of is a Western Digital 80GB internal drive.
    I'm able to create backup images to all three external drives, but the images on the Seagate and Acomdata drives are split.
    Can anybody explain to me why this happens?
    I'm concerned that if I ever have to restore an image from the Seagate or Acomdata drive how True Image will know to restore both parts of the image file.
    I'm new to this forum, and I hope I've posted this in the right place.
    Thanks.

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

If the split is at 4GB then it is because the destination drive is formatted FAT32 whose maximum file size is 4GB.

The split archives should not be a problem and TI will recognize all the files as being part of the same archive. TI also gives you the option to split archives to fit onto DVD, CD, or any custom size you wish.

If you don't want the split, reformat the drives NTFS but be sure to save any data you want first.

3. Mooron

Mooron Registered Member

It's not a problem ,TI is designed to restore multi-part archives.
    The split is probably because you are trying to put the archive
    on a FAT32 partition which limits file size. Even if you are
    using NTFS, it's not a good idea to make one huge archive file
    anyway because it's very difficult to work with, burn to DVD,
    move to another drive or whatever.

- Mooron

4. HelpFromFrance

HelpFromFrance Registered Member

Edited to delete link as it was reported that the conversion could cause problems, I don't want that to happen because of me.

Have a good day,
    HelpFromFrance

Last edited: Jul 7, 2006
  5. dld

dld Registered Member

HelpFromFrance... There are problems associated with this command line conversion of FAT16/FAT32 to NTFS. See this thread.

6. HelpFromFrance

HelpFromFrance Registered Member

I did the conversion & had no problems, but if in doubt don't, always format. Thanks for the heads up. Hope no one had a problem because of my post. I edited my previous post to make sure no one could have problems because of a link and advice I gave. ;)

Have a good day,
    HelpFromFrance

7. TomR

TomR Registered Member

Thanks to all who answered my post, your replies prompted me to take a look in the Properties of the Seagate and Acomdata drives, and sure enough both were using FAT32.
    I have now reformatted them to NTFS, and I have created a True Image backup image to both drives,and both drives show the image file as one file.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.