Acronis TI9, Files and Folders backup.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Mehuge, Mar 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mehuge

Mehuge Registered Member

I upgraded from Acronis TI 8 to 9 because I read it could now exclude files. What I didnt realise was that this option was only available using the Files and Folders backup method. I was hoping for some clever exclusion stuff (0's sectors for example so it compresses well) for the disk image mode.

Anyway, given that its not the case, I now have some questions:

My Disk Image backups are becoming way too large, and include lots of stuff I dont need backed up.

If I switch to using Files and Folders backup, can I restore the system in the even of a catastropic failure using the Files and Folders backup?

Will it restore the partition or will I have to re-create that manually and then restore the files?

I was thinking of doing a C:\ backup, excluding some stuff I dont want backed up, e.g. game installs which can be either backed up separatly or easliy re-installed, thus drastically reducing the size of my weekly backup, however I would require to be able to restore my WinXP system using this backup.

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

“If I switch to using Files and Folders backup, can I restore the system in the even of a catastropic failure using the Files and Folders backup?”
    You can only restore whatever you backed up; nothing more, nothing less.

“Will it restore the partition … ?”
    No, as it says, “Files & Folders”. If you have a clean disk to restore to, it may ask you if you want to format/partition; never done it, can’t say for sure.

“I was thinking of doing a C:\ backup, excluding some stuff … “
    As long as you don’t inadvertently omit something necessary, I would think you’d be OK.

You might want to think about putting the games and stuff you wish to omit in a separate partition. You could then image that only when you feel like it.

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I second that. I have games installed on a different partition since they are big and never change.

Another cause for giant images is System Restore. If you like having it, restrict how much disk space it can use to save just a few restores. I think it defaults to 10% and on a modern drive it can be a lot. Since you are making images your need for System Restore is questionable but only you can decide that.

4. Mehuge

Mehuge Registered Member

Thanks both.

I was hoping to have to avoid re-partitioning C:\ which I would have to do if I were to move games. Its one huge raid 0 C:\ drive, but it looks like that may be the only way forward.

Another question (hyperthetical):

If I do a files and folders backup of C:\ (including everything) and then I fdisk and format C:\ can I use the files and folders backup to restore the system back to a working state?

i.e. does the files and folders backup take all it needs to do a system level restore or does it omit vital bits that would mean the restored system would be incomplete or not work?

5. aoz

aoz Registered Member

PLEASE see my thread (user aoz) on backup of encrypted files. Your scenario is exactly what I was testing.
    Unfortunately, there were not many (if any) replies to my post; but my post fits UNencrypted (your scenario) drives as well as encrypted.

OK, I have been testing this.
    I did a backup of files and folders.

I then took an erased drive, made a c: partition, NTFS, and restored the files/folders to that machine.
    I rebooted, and it worked (windows xp, etc)
    BUT, I then tried one of my programs (capwiz, from adsTech; a video capture program), and it does NOT work.
    I have posted to THEIR web site to see if there was any quirk in their normnal installation that may have made the programs sector-specific, but still no repoly from them;

I also did a file-by-file binary compare (batch utility), and 99% of files compared correctly; ones that did not were some of the dynamic system-state files (log files, etc), but they did not seem to interfere with bootup function or other function.

SO, if YOU or ANYONE want to pursue tests with this scenario, it would be appreciated, so we can all benefit as to the best scenario for backup/recovery.

For YOU, however, I would suggest cleaning uup your c: drive, get data from c: to a D: partition; then you can clone the C: partition as actual partition backup; and then do D: as a file/folder backup.

In event of disaster, restore c: as partition; create a d: partition; restore to d: as files/folders

makes it cleaner
    Nick

6. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

Are you sure the registry was correcty restored ? If not, it can explain that some software fail to work.

.merle1.

7. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

No, a system restore requires a drives backup.

AFAIK, a files backup has no drive info.

In any case, I would never use a backup program to set up my partitions.
    I'd always first boot with a program such as Partition Magic to set up the partitions and then restore the files.

8. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

A files backup, backs up ONLY what you ask it to back up.

If you ask FILES backup to backup a drive, it will backup ALL files with a few exceptions, e.g., it will not back up pagefile.sys.

Then you should be able to format the drives and restore the files.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.