Acronis TI v8 build 764 does not restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by cityman, Aug 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cityman

cityman Registered Member

okay, let me take this from the beginning. maybe there is something wrong with my thinking or following instructions.

i am trying to do a simple restore using WinXP Home.

previously, i true imaged my two partitions which is on one disk. it was stored on an EXTERNAL hard drive. it was verified. it was about 16 gb so the external hard drive shows three multifile tib extensions.

when i try to restore using either the first or the third extension ( i am not sure which is the correct one ) everything runs smoothly, i followed the instructions.

1) i go to - restore
    2) i select the last tib mulitifle extension ( i also tried the first tib multifile instruction- with the same non- restoring results)
    3) i choose not to verify (since i did it before)
    4) i choose the disk to restore both partitions
    5) i choose the delete everyrthing on the hard drive partition
    6) it locks everything and tells me some files are still active
    7) it recommends i reboot (which i do)
    --
    after it reboots, (of course my mouse does not work) and i have to use the keyboard- the following happens (which is a repeat of before).

1) i chose to restore
    2) when i press next (using the keyboard command).. the computer automatically reboots all over again and there is no restore. this happens regardless which tib extension i used. the WinXP home operating system re-starts; there is not restore.

so what am i doing incorrectly?

i thank you.

2. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

Have you tried booting from the rescue CD to do the restore?

3. cityman

yes i tried to restore from the boot CD as well.
    also. when i bootup and get to the menu...
    1) i chose to restore
    2) when i press next (using the keyboard command).. the computer automatically reboots all over again and there is no restore. this happens regardless which tib extension i used. the WinXP home operating system re-starts; there is no restore.

thanks for responding.

4. Kez

Kez Registered Member

Tried the simple mode boot CD?

5. wdormann

Also consider pressing F11 before the CD starts booting and adding the options "noapic acpi=off" to the kernel parameters.

6. Gibbo

Gibbo Registered Member

I have tried the F11 switch and still have the spontaneous reboot problem when the first 'next' is selected. I believe that it is isolated to laptops (but can't verify this) and hope that it is a simple fix so that we can go on living! :)

The spontaneous reboot also occurs when trying to verify an image, or when rebooted into TI mode from Windows, so i don't think it is boot disc related.

7. leehigdon3

leehigdon3 Registered Member

This is a wild guess, but have you ruled a bad memory module? I've seen similar behavior with bad memory and/or a MB issue.

8. wdormann

I'll have to agree that this smells like a hardware problem.

Generally, if Linux crashes (Due to bad driver or whatever), the system will freeze with the NumLock light blinking.

Perhaps try memtest86 run overnight with the "bit fade" extended test explicitly enabled.

9. Gibbo

Gibbo Registered Member

I'll give the memory test a go, but there are a number of users, all on laptops or tablets so far, who are experiencing the same problem when accessing an image. It would be a surprise if we al have the same problems. Perhaps it is memory related, but memory type, rather thabn error (is this possible?)

I can boot from the TI8 boot disc, get TI to reboot from Windows to take control of the disc and interupt the boot using f11 with secure zone. In each case selecting the first 'next' command when looking at an image, either to restore or to verify the image causes the reboot.

10. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

Yeah, my IBM laptop must have bad hardware when I install version 8, however when I install version 7 the hardware is apparently fixed. (No offence guys, it still could be bad hardware for someone else)

11. cityman

i just use the boot CD that i made from TI and run it. so, what is a simple mode boot CD?

i will check out the mem test later on... but this is a 5 month old machine with and the ram is new- one month. two 0512mb chips.

should i try the acronis version 7? and get rid of the version 8?

12. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

I believe Kez meant have you tried a "Safe Version" (doesn't include Linux drivers for USB/PC Card/SCSI hard drives) of the Boot Rescue disk. This is created via an option in the Rescue Media Builder wizard.

Regards

13. jedunn

jedunn Registered Member

Hello everyone;
    I to experience the same auto boot problem when tring to restore from the Boot CD with TI8 build 768. I can perform backups, full and incremential, and restores from the Acronis secure zone on the hard drive. But when I try to use the CD it appears that the Boot CD does not have the required CD drivers after it boots! If I use the trial version (TI7 build 597) the problem goes away. I can access the CD drive and see the images but because it is the 'trial version' cannot restore. I have contacted support with a detail report of the symptoms, but have not heard anything as of today. I'm running XP Home (SP2) on a SONY laptop model PCG-FRV25. I would love to exchange my TI8 for TI 7 but see no way to order it from acronis.com

14. cityman

Thanks for the information; I may have to do this in a few days. right now, i am hoping for a remedy before i go down to version 7 and then i will have to hope it will work with an external hard drive.

funny though, i still like TI the best.

i did not bother with trying the memory chips. it is the program, not the hardware.

15. jedunn

jedunn Registered Member

Hi Cityman;
    How do I get my hands on TI version 7? I would like to trade my TI8 for 7. There is no way that I can see to order TI7 from acronis.com.

16. cityman

wheww... i really have no way of answering that question. call the company up and ask. maybe some of the people on this board will advise you. just post it under the heading of.. HOW TO I GET TI V 7? that should get the powers to be attention.

on a side note, i know/heard of a website (legit? - i do not know)... where there are old programs listed something like oldprograms.com or whatever. you would really have to google it. it is there you might find version 7.

but i do not even know if TI 7 will do the job for you or for me. i am prepared to mentally reformat. thank god i always do a backup of important files other than using TI. it has saved me many a time. in fact, i triplicate everything. a lot of work but then i put a lot of time on my files.

good luck

17. Menorcaman

Greets,

Acronis Support provided the following download link on 19 August. I just checked and can confirm that it's still available.

Regards
    Tom

18. Gibbo

Gibbo Registered Member

but downloading TI7 is no good if you have a TI8 image to restore...... :rolleyes:

May be of some use to users who want to create a new image that will work.

19. cityman

thanks, good to know, luckily i have both ti7 and ti8 images.

but darn, this is getting complicated.

20. Ignos

Ignos Registered Member

thats good and i would be willing to scrap my TI8 images to try TI 7 -613 but my 8 key wont activate 7 so no s-ata unles Anton wants to email me a key for 7

21. Menorcaman

Oops! forgot about that :oops: . Sorry for the bum steer.

Regards

22. cityman

now that there is a more advanced version i wonder if all this is necessary- it is build 768. but according to this post https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=46815

you should do a clean install on this - that is delete/uninstall the old '764' build and then install the '768'.

as for me, i will wait on that. it is a 3 day weekend.

23. mazaprin

mazaprin Registered Member

I have been using ATI 7.0 since the first time it was released (now updated to latest build) on my Sony VAIO laptop PCG-NVR23 with Windows XP Home with a 30GB HD (partitioned into "C" and "D") upgraded to 512 MB RAM. First of all, I never do "incremental backups" (a waste of time and time consuming restorations where anything can go wrong) and I have successfully restored my entire system 3 times already and it went flawlessly. Althought it all depends on the particular configuration of your PC or Laptop and what kind of softwares or applications you are using that may interfere, this is WHAT has been working for me all the time:
    1.- ALWAYS try to do a Full System backup every week (forget incremen-tals). I have done it in no more than 20 minutes each (only 13 or 14 GB that are being used on the HD).
    2.- PREVIOUS to using Acronis, RUN CHKDSK to look for and fix any HD errors, Clean all Temp. Files (I use Tune-Up Utilities 2004), and Defragment all Drives (I use Diskeeper Pro), check Windows Updates and try to Update any softwares or applications. In other words check that your PC is in perfect working conditions. Reboot for a clean Booting.
    3.- Always try to use an EXTERNAL USB 2.0 HD (I use Simple Tech, Simple Drive 120 GB USB 2.0) where the ENTIRE SYSTEM BACKUP will fit inside a single FILE (create a FOLDER inside your External HD and name it "Full System Backups" and you can also use this HD as an storage for pictures, Wallpapers collections, videos, etc... with their own folders). Backing Up to several CDs or Zips can be done but I would not recommend dividing the backup over several media unless you can not afford to buy a $70-100 External HD).
    4.- Open Acronis Wizard to Create Image and follow the simple steps to backup the ENTIRE HD every time and name the file "Backup+ DATE". The Image then will be created.
    5.- Reboot your PC and then open Acronis and choose "Check Image" (will take half the time it took to create it) to be sure it checks OK.
    6.- In case you have a system failure, if Windows open (but many applications are not working or whatever) just open Acronis inside of Windows and choose restore from your External HD's latest backup (Acronis will then Reboot to take charge of the HD and then the Wiazard will come again for you to choose the latest backups from your External HD and Acronis will restore your System to that DATE in less than 30 minutes.
    That's how it has been done on my Laptop. Now... You mention that you created images to an external HD but what I don't understand is why are there several "extensions"(??!!), something is wrong there because if you have an External HD with more capacity than your PC's HD then the Acronis Full Image will be done into ONE SINGLE FILE (maybe you were doing incremental backups which I don't recommend).
    I have been thinking into Upgrading to ATI 8.0 but it seems that this new version has its own BUGS that need to be fixed. I will wait a little while before buying the version 8.0 because, apart from being a new version,
    I don't see any "NEW" features on this "NEW" version that are not included on version 7.0 and it seems to me that the guys at Acronis are trying to pass a simple little Update as a big Upgrade and charging for it (for what??). The only "NEW" feature of version 8.0 that the version 7.0 does not have is that it checks the windows file system after restoration(o_O) and this is something that you don't need Acronis to do, you just run "sfc/scannow" and that's it.
    If you still have version 7.0, you will need to Uninstall version 8 completely and Re-install version 7 (with its own Boot CD) and try to restore the version 7 backups. Last Resort, Restore your System using the Restoration CDs that came with the PC, then Install Acronis 7 and then try to restore your version 7 backup from the external HD.

24. cityman

i forgot why i had three .tib files. perhaps i was thinking to convert them to a dvd and that was the maximum size i could make.

thanks for the info about the incremental info. i have never used that method.

and again thanks for your help. :D

25. mazaprin

mazaprin Registered Member

Cityman, if you are creating Backup Images of your entire System to an External HD that has more capacity than your PC HD, you don't need to set or adjust the size (that's done when you want to divide the backup files into several CDs or DVDs, etc. but if your media has ample capacity you just set the size to AUTOMATIC). Do yourself a BIG favor and buy an External USB 2.0 HD with double the capacity than your PC HD. I recommend the SimpleTech, SimpleDrive USB 2.0 120 GB, you can shop for the best price or you can buy an 80GB External HD, just try to get the MOST GB for the LESSER price. You wuilol find that Backing up your entire HD once a week to that External HD is a piece of cake (you can also use this HD for storage for many other documents, videos, pictures, etc. just create some FOLDERS for each thing inside the HD to keep everything ORGANIZED). Never divide a Full System Backup over several media (if one of the media, lets' say DVD # 5 out of 10 has a corrupted file the entire Restoration proccess will FAIL miserably just because of that tiny corrupted file).
    Remember that I am talking about my experience with ATI 7.0 (build 634) which has been the BEST working version at the present. I suggest that if you have version 7.0 (and Upgraded to ATI :cool: to UNINSTALL ATI 8 COMPLETELY and then RE-INSTALL version 7.0 (and Update it to Build 634) and USE that version until the NEW version 8 bugs have been FIXED and then Install ATI 8 again (after poreviously Uninstalling version 7 completely for a CLEAN install of version :cool:. I have not seen any "NEW" features on version 8 that version 7 does not already have. This is a simple Update being SOLD as a BIG UPgrade. Don't fall for it. If your version 7 was working FINE, that's all you need, you are not obligated in any way to Upgrade if you don't want to and the "NEW" features on version 8 have nothing to do with improvement, they are just "cosmetic" type of "features" that you don't really need to create perfect Images and flawless restorations with your precious version 7.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.