Acronis TI Server for Linux + Cloning + RAID

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by najeebsyed2, Oct 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. najeebsyed2

najeebsyed2 Registered Member

Hello all,
    1st of all, I want to give you guys some background on my Acronis TI setup. I have a linux box with two 18 GB Raid 1 hard drives and the Acronis TI Linux Server software installed on it.

I have attached a third 70 GB Unallocated hard drive. I am attempting to clone one of the 18 GB hard drives onto the 70 GB hard drive that has 70 GB of unallocated space on it.

However, when I select the "Create a new partition layout" option within the Disk Clone Wizard, I do not get the option to expand the root(/), or any other, partion on the origional disk even when I try to do it manually.

This is critical. If I have a 18GB hard drive, and I NEED to clone it on a 70 GB hard drive, I want to be able to resize the origional Hard drive (18GB), expand the /root partition on it after cloning it. Is this possible using Acronis TI Linux software?? Thank you in advance.

:)

2. najeebsyed2

najeebsyed2 Registered Member

It doesn't look like it is possible to expand the origional root partition of the hard dirve after it is cpoied over to the larger hard drive. However, Acronis automatically expanded the size of my Boot partition from 500 MB to 52 GB and it left the partion which I WANTED to expand the same size. This is very disappointing. I was expecting to be able to expand the root partition after I cloned it on a larger disk.

However, Acronis Ti Linux server gives me the ability to create unallocated space if I copy the partitions from the old hard drive over to the new hard drive without creating any new partitions. I guess this is an alternative. Now the question becomes, it is possible to format that unallocated partition into or as a PART of the root partion once the disk is up and running in a new box?

o_O :( o_O

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello najeebsyed2,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Linux Server Disk Backup software

It should be possible to clone a hard drive to the larger hard drive with resizing.

Could you please clarify if you're receiving any error message when trying to resize partitions during cloning operation? Please also clarify if you are using "Manual" mode for cloning.

Could you please create Acronis Report Acronis Help Post, make the screen shots of every your step and then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.

Thank you.

--
    Michael Levchenko

4. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

I recently did just this in a Ubuntu setup. To merge the unallocated partition use what we call the Secure Zone trick:
    ================================
    If you have already cloned/restored your drive and just want to regain the missing/unallocated space proceed as follows:
    1. Make the bootable True Image Rescue cd, if you have not already done so.
    2. Boot with it and from its main menu choose Manage Acronis Secure Zone.
    3. Create an SZ of any size less than the missing unallocated space. Do not accept the default to activate the Startup Recovery Manager.
    4. OK back to the main menu.
    5. Go right back into the Manage ASZ.
    6. Choose to Delete the SZ.
    7. When asked what to do with the space, accept the default to append it to the existing partition.
    8. Back out to the Main Menu, Exit the process, quickly remove the CD and reboot the system (if it doesn't self reboot).
    ====================================

Note: Do not accept the default to activate the Startup Recovery Manager.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.