Acronis TI Restore disaster-Help

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by brachd, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brachd

brachd Registered Member

My HD is divided into 4 partitions C Programmes D Spare E Own Data F backup
    on my Desktop
    I decided to do a trial restore form my Laptop
    I was restoring Own data to Spare D which it appeared to do. I now find that
    the configuration has changed as follows
    C Programmes OK D has disappeared, E has become G and is OK F Backup has now
    no data.
    When I checked with ACI I find that D is still there and contains the exact
    amount of data I would expect
    When I look at Windows Explorer there is no D
    How can I recover from this disaster?
    o_O

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Go into Disk Management (right click My Computer, select Management, Disk Management) and see if you need to reassign drive letters or if you restore data to the wrong drive.

As a rule, you should give names to your hard disks and partitons because depending on ewhat you boot with, the drive letter assignments might not be the same -- i.e., you can't trust drive letters as a disk identifier across operating systems.

3. brachd

brachd Registered Member

Many thanks for your help.
    I have managed to recover the missing partition by renaming it and also to allocate the origional letters to the other partitions which were wrong apart from one which refuses to change. I have tried using ATI and also Partition Commander and the Disk management to no avail however I am more or less back where I stsretd and can cope with that.

4. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

If your system drive changes drive letters, that requires something different.
    Al the other drives can be changed.

You may need to remove the drive letter from all but C. Shutdown and reboot. Then, you should be able to assign your drive letters sequentially as you prefer.

5. brachd

brachd Registered Member

Further information. I used the disk management to attempt to change the one drive letter and I received a warning that it might cause the programme to no longer run.
    So I am fearful of any change
    With your suggestion is it essential to delete all apart from C or can I only delete the one which is wrong?
    Should I proceed with the Disk management change or use your suggestion?

6. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Follow Grover's tip. The warning about program's not working is because some progs set up to expect certain files on cenrtain paths and if the drive letters are changed, then the progs can get lost. YOur prob is that the drive leetters are already changed and you are putting them back in order. So you can ignore themessage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.