Acronis TI 9.1 - hangs before transfer

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Maviso, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maviso

Maviso Registered Member

Hi,

Trying to clone existing SATA disk. Using WD 250GB IDE as target. Windows interface does all the right things (sees all the disks OK), reboots, starts to report "checking partition" - stays at 0% before jumping to message "cloned successfully - press any key to reboot" - but machine has hung at this point.

Manually rebooting works OK - back into windows but no data has been transferred.
    Any ideas? Board is an Asus A8N SLI delixe, AMD dual core, no overclocking or any fancy peripherals.

2. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Hi Maviso, welcome to the Forum... :D

We just need to clarify the terminology first so that I know how to advise you.

The term IDE (Integrated Drive Electronics) is often misunderstood. There are 2 IDE technologies, firstly there was PATA (Parallel Advanced Technology Attachment) and then more recently SATA (Serial Advanced Technology Attachment).

Am I correct in my understanding that you are attempting to Clone a disk that is setup and connected to a SATA interface to a disk that is setup and connected to a PATA interface?

3. Maviso

Maviso Registered Member

Hi Tabvla, thanks for coming back.

The full picture is my PC was running a pair of SATA drives as a mirrored RAID. One of the pair expired so rather than simply replace the dead (SATA) drive & reconstruct the mirror I bought Acronis as a means of creating a new RAID mirror with two brand new SATA drives.

To do this I intend to use Acronis to clone the surviving SATA drive (now moved to a seperate non-RAID SATA connector on my motherboard and working just fine - booting into Windows XP OK etc.) onto a new 250GB WD PATA IDE drive as a first step.

The plan being that having done this I would then remove the existing old SATA drive from the PC and insert two new SATA drives, RAID them as a mirrored set before using Acronis once more to transfer from the 250GB WD PATA drive onto the new pair of blank RAID SATA drives.

Unfortunately I can't get to the first stage of cloning onto the PATA drive on this machine - even though I have successfully used the same software and PATA drive to achieve this on another PC where I simply wanted to move up to a bigger pair of RAIDed SATA drives.

The sequence is:
    Reboots
    Analysing Partitions 100%
    Locking Partitions 100%
    Checking Partitions 0%
    Big Screen Scroll
    Synchronizing with Operating System 100%
    Congratulations you have successfully .....
    ....but the PC has hung up atthis point.

Sorry about all the detail - I hope it gives you a clue.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2007
  4. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Hi Maviso

Thank you for the detail - it always helps to understand the physical setup.

I think a the solution may be to use the disk "Image" method rather than the "Clone" method.

Both the "Image" and "Clone" methods use a "sector-by-sector" process which means in practice that both methods recreate critical positional sectors, such as Track 0.

The "Clone" method is most suited for non-technical users who do not have access to partitioning software or who do not have the experiece or confidence to work with partitions. As such it is the best tool for transferring an entire system from an "old" small disk to a "new" big disk.

Depending on the exact task to be performed, using the "Image" method may require setting up partitions. There are some technical advantages to using the "Image" method and this is the process that I would suggest as being the most appropriate for the task that you want to accomplish.

5. Maviso

Maviso Registered Member

Hi Tabvla,

As you have probably guessed Acronis is a new tool for me.

Presumably the "Image" method is accessed via the "Backup" option.

The wizard invites me to back up the entire disk - OK - in this case Disk 1.

I am then invited to choose a name for the Backup Arcive "MyBackup.tib" - but on which disk - the new one (Disk 2) or on the original? Presumably on the new Disk 2.

Create new full backup archive - OK
    Use default options - OK?
    Add comments - not really in this case.

and the result is......attached.

It seems as though something is wrong with my system.

Attached Files:

6. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Hi Maviso,

Without knowing exactly how your system is setup it is difficult to be sure of the reason and therefore the solution.

However, the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service manages the endpoint map database. To get RPC to start you type net start rpcss in a "Run" dialog box.

If you believe that the RPC needs to be running on your system then I suggest you try the above and then try again and see if that resolves the issue or if you get the same or a different error message.

If the above does not resolve the issue then you could try pinging the server.

You need to open a CMD dialog box and type ping name of server

7. Maviso

Maviso Registered Member

Hi Tabvla,

It took a while to sort out but I thought my experience might prove useful for you for others.

The error message was misleading - nothing to do with RPC but rather that the Acronis Task Scheduler was switched off!

First time round I created a whole disk backup onto the new bigger Silicon Image Mirror RAIDed SATA drive(s) as I had decided to skip the intermediate move to the PATA drive given that I have sufficient SATA connectors on my Asus Motherboard.

I also created an Acronis Boot CD. I rebooted via the Acronis Boot CD having disconnected the old SATA drive. Bad news though as the Acronis boot driver will only talk to Striped RAID disks!

Reconnected original SATA drive. Created a new whole disk backup file (of the original drive) onto the original drive (enough space fortunately).

I then restored this file onto the new RAID drives from within Acronis in Windows. Powered down, disconnected old SATA drive & the PC booted up via the new RAIDed drives. The PC / Windows XP took a fair bit of time thinking about it - tortuous but it worked.

Thanks for your kind attention - I hope my experience proves helpful to someone else.

Kind regards

8. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Hi Maviso

Glad that you have resolved the issue.

Thanks for the detailed feedback, it is always helpful to know the practical solution to a problem.

:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.