Acronis TI 8 Server ed. - Boot failure on restore (Windows 2K Server)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by sconnell, Jan 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sconnell

sconnell Registered Member

I have recently upgraded from TI7 to TI8 and I am still seeing the same boot failure when I attempt a test restore.

Message (upon boot up): Windows Could Not Start Because of a Computer Disk Hardware Configuration Problem.
    Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware.

I know why I am seeing this message and I know how to fix it BUT Why is my "exact" Acronis clone causing this to happen?

Some oddities on this server are that it is a FAT32 boot partition (don't ask). I want to clone this system before I can convert the boot partition to NTFS.

Any thoughts?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello sconnell,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that the most probable reason for the problem you have encountered is that you have restored the image of a single system partition rather than the image of the entire hard drive. Please note that even if you have created the image of the entire hard drive then you still might have restored system partition only by selecting it on the respective screen of the Recovery Wizard instead of selecting the entire hard drive. If that's the case then just restore the entire hard drive to avoid this problem (see chapter 5 of Acronis True Image 9.0 User's Guide). Please also take a look at this Microsoft Knowledge Base Article describing the possible reasons and resolutions for this problem.

If the problem still persists even after you have restored the image of the entire hard drive then please do the following:

- Download Acronis Report Utility, run it and create a report (usually named 'report.txt' and saved to the desktop);

- Rename the report created to report_before.txt;

- Launch Acronis Report Utility once again and select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;

- Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;

- Reproduce the problem (restore the image);

- Do not fix the problem on this step (leave your hard drive unbootable);

- Boot the computer from the beforehand created diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;

- Fix the problem as usual and boot into Windows;

- Collect the report file from the floppy and rename it to report_after.txt

Please also provide us with the following information:

- Let us know whether you have restored the image to the same hard drive or to the new disk;

- Find the build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window and let us know it.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Last edited: Jan 18, 2006
  3. chrismoo

chrismoo Registered Member

:eek: Re: Acronis TI 8 Server ed. - Boot failure on restore (Windows 2K Server)

I am planning a disk upgrade on a Dell RAID5 array running Windows 2000 Server SP4. I intended to resize the system partition when restoring the image to the new array (upgrading from 135Gb to 1.2TB). I was relying on using the partition sizing functionality to fix my problems. Is this now going to cause me problems as I have to restore the IMAGE and not the PARTITIONS that would basically handle all my disk resizing as I had expected?

Please advise ASAP as my upgrade happens this weekend.

Thanks

Chris

4. Acronis Support

Re: :eek: Re: Acronis TI 8 Server ed. - Boot failure on restore (Windows 2K Server)

Hello Chris,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please use the following scheme in order to accomplish your goal:

- Create an image of the entire server hard drive saving it to any type of the supported media (e.g. CD, DVD, internal\external hard drive, ZIP drive, network drive, etc.);

- Turn off your server and upgrade the RAID array;

- Boot the server from Bootable Rescue CD created using either Acronis True Image 8.0 Enterprise Server for Windows or Acronis True Image 8.0 Server for Windows and restore the image of the entire hard drive;

Note that you will not be able to change the partition configuration while restoring the image of the entire hard drive. However, this step is required to restore the hard drive's MBR, since only the image of the entire hard drive contains MBR;

- Restore each partition separately changing it's size during the restoration process (You can find the detailed information on how to perform these actions in the respective User's Guide. )

In case you follow the above described scheme, there should not be any problems booting into the restored operating system.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

5. chrismoo

chrismoo Registered Member

Re: :eek: Re: Acronis TI 8 Server ed. - Boot failure on restore (Windows 2K Server)

Thanks for the quick response.

Would restoring the partitions separately with resizing and then running a FIXMBR not work? I am thinking how I can save time and reduce the window of downtime for my users rather than have to run a double restore??

Thanks again

Chris

6. Acronis Support

Hello Chris,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Yes, you can restore the partitions separately resizing them and then fix the MBR manually by booting the server from Windows 2000 Installation CD and run "fixmbr" command in Recovery Console.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.