Acronis TI 8 or TI 10

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by TerryWood, May 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

I am not a guru on backup and recovery software but I can say that I have been using TI 8 for 18 months now without a single problem or failed image recovery (Win XP SP2) I have used FDISR and it failed me so I had to use TI 8 to bail me out.

Similarly, I fail to see a compelling case for Powershadow RollBack RX, ShadowUser et al when Acronis supplies the key ingredient flawlessly.

So I now want to ask the forum experts what is the benefit of moving to TI 10 over TI 8? The latter meets my needs I think. Apart from Vista compatibility and an element of obsolescence proofing what else does TI 10 offer over TI 8.

I use Firefox and Thunderbird mainly and back up to external USB drive including the Acronis images.

Thanks in anticipation of some sage commentary.

Terry

2. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Terry,

Re ATI 8 vs ATI 10, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". ...i.e., as long as v8 supports your hardware and OS, my advice is to leave well enough alone.

Re building a case for one of the 'intant restore' programs, I can only comment about Rollback Rx Pro, with which I have considerable experience (along with ATI). While I agree with what you said about ATI providing all the key (backup) ingredients, what RB brings to the table is a huge convenience factor (10-seconds to take a snapshot of my entire C-partition and 30 seconds to restore it)! Short of a disaster-recovery situation, where there is no substitute for disk-imaging/cloning software (e.g., ATI), I use RB exclusively for intra-day backups and I wouldn't be without it. :thumb:

Last edited: May 29, 2007
  3. dougeeebear

dougeeebear Registered Member

I agree with this 100%.

4. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I still use 8, 9, and 9.1 on some machines. As I still use Xp and only make and restore full images I don't think that 10 really adds anything. I just keep buying each new version because I like to collect software but being really practical I'm sure that if 8 works then there is no real gain.

I'm surprised that you had problems with FD-ISR I use if everyday on one machine for testing software. I must have copied and booted to different snap shots hundreds of times and had no problem

5. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Thanks for mentioning RB. I have just downloaded and tried it on a machine which has 2 FD-ISR snapshots. As you say very quick.

do I understand you correctly. With Acronis you make a system image and then use RB during the day to go back after trying out new programs etc ?

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello TerryWood,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

I would recommend that you have a look at this previous post of mine, which contains links to the threads about new features of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home, which can help you to make a choice.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

7. shieber

shieber Registered Member

"If it works, don't fix it is very good advice if you never want any improvement in your life."

However, you check out the features in 10 -- you can even try 10 for free -- and see if you like the features -- if not, then stick with 8.

Worst comes to worst and for some inexplilcable reason using 10 whacks out your computer, you can always do a restore back to the way it was before since you're already using 8.

;-)

8. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

I upgraded from version 8.0 to 9.0 just to have the latest version. But the only feature I use on 9.0 is partition imaging, not even full disk backup or clone. Works the same as 8.0. If I upgrade to 10.0, I will probably only use partition imaging because it's what I'm most comfortable with. This time I'll upgrade to version 10 when I get Vista on my computer. Even though this program can do alot, I only use it to backup my c: partition for emergency's. But I do use powershadow for testing out new programs or when using the internet for immediate recovery. Even though you can recover with true image, I prefer to do a partition restore only in an emergency. If version 8.0 works for you, why change.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.