Acronis TI 2009 Home and Bare Metal Restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by gokumura, Jul 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gokumura

gokumura Registered Member

Hi all, new to this forum. I did a search but couldn't find anything on doing a "bare metal" restore. I am thinking about changing my mb and proc. I just backed up my system using TI 2009 home. How do I go about doing a "bare metal" restore? Don't want to muck up my system without asking the experts. Also, I did see that TI Echo Workstation with Universal Restore does do this per the Acronis website. Thanks for the help in advance!
    G

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I have understood " bare metal restore" to mean restoring a complete system to a new un-used hard drive. This is something that TI does with ease.
    You however are talking about changing a MB and CPU while presumably retaining the existing system as it currently exists.
    This is a much more complex process to undertake.
    I suggest you have a look at this Microsoft KB article as a starting point.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824125
    Here is an older article which says most of the same things in more detail.
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html.

Both these articles suggest that backups are made to protect the data and system but the actual upgrade is made using an OS repair install.

Xpilot

3. gokumura

Xpilot, thanks for the reply! I am going to try using Acronis True Image Echo Workstation with Universal Restore. Spent more money, but hopefully this works out better. Also, I'll have to look for the correct procedure to remove TI 2009 Home along with the secure safe (I think that's what it's called??) area on my hard drive. Also, anyone on the forums know if the TI 2009 Home image will work with Workstation? Thanks everyone for your help in advance.
    G

4. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Since you're going to have to use the bootable Rescue CD of Workstation w. UR, to restore the Image, why not make it now and use it to make a new Image of the system before you change the mb/cpu.

5. gokumura

DwnNdrty (loL! what a *hot* screenname!), anyway, thanks for your thoughts. I think that I'm going to do just that and also rebuild my bartpe with TI Echo WS on it. Now, what I'm also thinking is can you use the backups from TI Home 2009? That's my real question because otherwise I need to do a whole image again....sigh....what a life we lead, us nerds! Thanks again!
    G

6. Marpost

Marpost Registered Member

I went through this exact same issue.

Echo Workstation with Universal Restore will do restore to other hardware. Home 2009 has no Universal Restore. So I had to switch and get Echo Workstation. I wish they had Universal Restore for Home 2009.

No Echo Worksation wouldn't open the .tib files from Home 2009. I did manage to have both Echo and Home 2009 installed at the same time and both working, though Acronis says you shouldn't do this. I wish they had made Echo able to open Home 2009's files or made it so you can have them both on together formally. But it did work ok for me when I tested it out.

The only thing is I did have a couple bugs in Echo Workstation. You may or may not have them.

Check out this thread

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=248527

I should note that the bugs listed there happened even when I had only Echo Workstation installed on a brand new drive with almost nothing but XP installed on it. They are real for me in the program, not due to having Echo Worksation and Home 2009 together, as I only tested that for a short time.

You'll also definitely want these handy:
    http://kb.acronis.com/content/1623
    http://kb.acronis.com/content/1809

7. gokumura

Marpost, thank you for your excellent feedback! I did uninstall TI Home 2009 with the add/remove programs in c/p, then as an added precaution, also used the Acronis uninstall utility (just in case). Rebooted and then installed Echo Workstation and Universal Restore. Everything was fine with the install. After rebooting, I checked the website and lo and behold, I saw an update dated July 2009. So, d/l the new software, install for Echo Workstation on top of the new/old installation went smoothly. However, Universal Restore installation (new version per website July 2009) gave an error and noted to manual uninstall the previous version. Did this through c/p using add/remove programs, rebooted and everything went fine with the install (funny how this didn't work like the proggy did??). Anyway....(whew, long winded here!), thanks for the info regarding using the image from TI Home 2009, I guess more time and media will be used to back up AGAIN.....AAAAGH!
    G

8. Marpost

Marpost Registered Member

You're welcome Gokumura. Hope it all works once set up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.