Acronis TI 11 Boot media is faulty

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by stinkingbob, May 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stinkingbob

stinkingbob Registered Member

THis is a follow up to my previous post. Let me see if I can explain it more clearly and I hope someone from the Acronis Team can respond.
    I dowloaded the latest build (8053) from TI 11. I made a back up of my hard drive. I validated the backup and everything was fine. To be sure, I mounted the image and everything worked perfectly.
    I then made a TI 11 rescue boot disk and inserted it into my computer.
    I restarted and had it boot from the CD/DVD drive. I went to validate the same exact image of my hard drive and about 1/2 way through the process, I get an error box saying that the file was corrupted!!! The funny thing is that TI 11 on my computer said this same exact image was validated and fine! I tried to validate previous build of TI 11 and I got the same corrupted file message.
    I am not using Linus. I am using a dell 9300 Inspiron computer laptop. The image file of my hard drive is stored on an external 500 Gig drive.

THe strange thing is that the rescue boot disk that I created from the previuos build of TI 11 (8027), will validate images made from that build (but not build 8053).
    So, Acronis team, there is a problem with build 8053's way in whichit will not validate images created by it same build number! Please look into this. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Even if it did validate with the boot media, that is still not 100% sure that the backup will be restored successfully when that time came. It's unfortunate, but that's the track record of Acronis True Image.

Until you do an actual restore to a spare hard drive and it's successful, only then can you be sure. With a laptop it may actually be easier to do than with a desktop if you're willing to invest in a second hard drive. And the drive doesn't have to be the exact size as the existing one. It only need be larger than the used space on the existing drive.

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

You might find that the ATI11 bootCD doesn't work woith some of your hardware. The so-called validation is really a check for checksums. When the backup file is written, ATI inserts checks sums every so often into the file. When you run "validation" ATI tries to read the file and see if it comes up with the ocrrect checksums. If not, then it declares the file invalid. But what it really measn is that it wasn't able to read the file correctly. That isn't necessarily aproblem with the file but with the drivers ATI uses on the BootCd (which boots into linux and so uses diff dirvers than your PC that is running windows).

It's not surprising that the Boot Cd form an earlier version works -- aTI11 fails on some hardware on which ATI10 worked.

Unfortunately, the file structure is changed from ATI10 to ATI 11 and so ATI10 cannot actually resotere an ATI11 backup file.

Your best bet is to contact Tech Support, which will start sending you iso files to burn to CD to make a new bootCD or else just make a BartPE or VistaPE disk.

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Very nicely clarified.
    Read Shieber's reply carefully. He has answered your questions well.

The problem appears to be the version of Linux and the Linux drivers for your hardware on the TI Recovery CD. Unless tech support can provide a better disk, the BartPE disk is the best alternative.

5. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Yes, you do have linux, after a fashion.

When you restore a windows system disk, regardless of what backup program you use, you can't do it while you are running windows from that system disk-- some files windows won't let anything touch while it is running from those files. So, to restore a windows system disk, you have to boot up with something else, whether windows XP ona CD (BartPE) or Vista on a CD (VistaPE) or some other OS like linux (which most backup/imaging programs like TrueImage, Paragon, etc. use on thier bootCD).

Years ago, to restore a windwos sys disk, you booted up with a DOS cd but DOS just doesn't have adequate drivers for much of today's hardware. A great many of the probs seen with diff brands of backup/imaging software is that the linux used on the BootCD doesn't deal properly with the hardware even though the prog does fine when running under windows -- the problem being, not the richness of of linux but the paucity of available and up-to-date drivers for linux. Linux is the achille's heel of backup/imaging software.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.