Acronis TI 11 and New Dell Lat 830

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by DMitch, Feb 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DMitch

DMitch Registered Member

Here's the context:
    I have a fairly new (9mos) old Dell Lat 820 and getting a new Dell Lat 830.
    I will try to explain as best I can what I am trying to accomplish and concerns I have.

Obviously the computer hardware will be different but it will have the same xp-pro and the same 120gb hd as my old one.

I have a business software which is loaded on my old one that needs to be transferred over. In order to have had this software downloaded on old computer...I had to go thru a drawnout process of downloading alll kinds of software including microsoft SQL Server stuffs. (maybe too much info here)

I want the new laptop to have:
    * All the programs as the Old one
    * All my emails and internet settings
    * Some data files
    * But I don't want all the avi or wav files xferred over

I have had success w/TI 11 with a full backup and restore but can't seem to figure out exactly how to backup just all the programs/applications/emails.
    I have read the manual and searched the forum and still confused.
    What do I check to backup from...program files only o_O
    Are there any other files I need to check o_O

Another concern I have is...if I have a full backup or just a partial backup of software, programs and apps (once I figure how) of my old laptop HD and restore to the new computer....Will that reduce the performance of my new laptop because the HD info and settings were imaged from older computer o_O Thanks in advance!!

:blink: WOW...I can't believe no advice yet?!?! :(

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello DMitch,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that when creating an image there is an option to exclude particular files/file types. So, you could exclude all unnecessary files from your image.

Please be aware that restoring to a different hardware with Acronis True Image 11 Home is not guaranteed to result in a working system, since the drivers in the restored system will be incorrect for the hardware. Acronis solution for transferring of a system to different hardware is Acronis Universal Restore. Acronis Universal Restore technology provides an efficient solution for hardware-independent system restoration by replacing the crucial Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) and mass storage device drivers.

Note that Acronis Universal Restore is a plug-in for corporate versions of Acronis True Image and in your case we would recommend that you use Acronis True Image Echo Workstation.

Acronis Universal Restore is used with image archives and you can find basic instructions on how to use it here. Detailed instructions can be found in the Acronis True Image Echo Workstation User's Guide.

We recommend you to download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image Echo Workstation to see how the software works on your computer. With the trial version of the product you will be able to fully use the Windows version for 15 days. The bootable rescue media will be limited to restore function.

Please also be aware that the trial version of Acronis Universal Restore is not available on Acronis web site. In order to obtain the trial version of Acronis Universal Restore please contact Acronis Support Team. Explain your wish to obtain the free trial version of Acronis Universal Restore and provide your personal information (full name; phone number along with the area code; company name, if any) along with the link to this thread. We'll provide you with the free trial version of Acronis Universal Restore as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

3. DMitch

DMitch Registered Member

Whay did the Acronis Rep say...no I can not using TI 11? o_O
    Anybody else got any other suggestion/advice? :doubt: Thanks!

4. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

Uh, just a guess here - because you can't?
    "Please be aware that restoring to a different hardware with Acronis True Image 11 Home is not guaranteed to result in a working system, since the drivers in the restored system will be incorrect for the hardware."

5. DMitch

DMitch Registered Member

Thanks Weaz for bringing closure to this matter...the way only you can ;)

6. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

:D

I would probably create a FULL image file of the old PC and copy it over to the new one (the actual backup file itself).
    Then mount the image and start drag/dropping folders one app at a time. Run the app and see what, if anything, it complains about not finding, find it in the image file and drop that over.
    I transferred everything from a Win95 PC to an XP one that way. Didn’t really take long (can be done a little at a time) and the only things that didn’t run were apps that flat out weren’t XP compatible to begin with.

7. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

In the unlikely event that,

1. The Dell has provided you with a CD of the OS, and

2. We are talking XP (I haven't played with Vista), you could restore the image to your new laptop, and then perform a XP repair, which should load in most drivers that you need.

The alternative which may or may not work, is to find the I386 folder that will be lurking on the new laptop, and there may well be a folder called Dell drivers - zap them onto a CD or DVD made bootable making sure that the correct OEM text and CID files have been copied correctly. The boot CD will now have the version of XP that your system uses.

Probably quicker and easier to use the Workstation version and UAR.

Colin

8. DMitch

DMitch Registered Member

Re: Acronis TI 11 and New Dell Lat 830, now Echo...

An update on my horrific adventure to moving from Dell Lat 820 to 830 :thumbd:

I purchased the Echo Worksatation and Uninversal Restore (and the premiere maintenance service...ha) to accomplish this and the nightmare begins!

I started to explain my experience but decided to delete it and spare you guys. The long and short of it all is my restore didn't work and I continually get the dreaded blue screen from computer hell. My case has been sent to the secret-handshake-committee-of-acronis-tech support. I also tried w/local computer firm who tied by intalling old hd to new laptop and doing a windows repair...that was almost successful. I could not get two of my business software to work. The computer guy told me I needed to get new "passkey" from the vendors. I also noticed that some of my apps like blutooth was missing.

That wasn't too short was it...sorry.

Back to square one again. I have restored using echo & universal restore image to new laptop and ran the new xp pro cd that came w/new laptop. performed repair but in windows my business software seems to be hung up in "verifying installation and loading database"

Hey Weaz, like to try your suggesstion and I apologize for my basic questions. When you suggested... that I mount an image..." Do I mount the image of old image to external HD and copy apps from that to WHERE? into the new laptop?
    As you can tell, I'm not certain if my question makes any sense. Just not sure exactly how do perform what you are advising me to do. Would greatly appreaciate, if possible, more "connecting the dot" instructions...THANKS:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.