Acronis TI 10 home can't mount or restore image after defrag HD which contains images

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Lderib, Dec 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lderib

Lderib Registered Member

Hello all,

I defragged the external HD which contains my acronis TI images. The images are splitted full HD images.

Since then it is impossible to mount or restore any image located on the beforenamed HD.

When trying to mount, error message is "Cannot assign a drive letter to a partition from the backup archive."

When trying to restore, error message is "W00040011: Please insert the media marked "Volume 1".

Press Retry when ready or press Cancel to cancel the operation.
    "

Neither pressing retry nor cancel does help to restore any file.

Please can anybody help?
    I would be very thankfull as I have no other backup of some precious family pictures.

Thank you,
    Luc

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2006
  2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

It may be a good idea to make another image of your precious files so that you have a backup. Then it will not really be necessary to trouble shoot your first archive.

While it should not affect an image adversely I would not defrag an image drive because it is rather pointless.

Xpilot

3. Lderib

Lderib Registered Member

Re: Acronis TI 10 home can't mount or restore image after defrag HD which contains im

Well thank you for the advice.

But it is already to late as I had a computer crash and I'm trying to restore the precious files.

So my concern is how can I get this image "workable" or "accessable" (don't know how to say) again?

Thank you.

4. Lderib

Lderib Registered Member

Re: Acronis TI 10 home can't mount or restore image after defrag HD which contains im

Hello again,

To give some details, it seems the two first parts of the 14 parts splitted image are somehow corrupted.

Indeed Acronis does not recognize the two first parts as valid archive.

The first recognized is the 3rd one and all the following??

Any idea is welcome,

Luc

Attached Files:

5. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Hi, if you have enough space on your PC, copy all the archives over and see if you can mount them from there.

I assume they are split so that you can burn them to DVD at a later stage?

Will TI let you actually mount your 3rd tib file?

Colin

6. Lderib

Lderib Registered Member

Hello Bodgy,

I tried to copy the set of images from external to the internal HD but still had the same errors when trying to mount or restore from there.

When trying to mount or restore I anyhow have to go to one of the working splits (from 3 to 15) but in the next steps it either stops for mounting (see error message 1 in my first post) or asks for volume 1 when trying to restore (see error message 2 in my first post).

And you're right and it's a good idea when you say that I can burn them on DVD, what I will do.

What I need to know, I think, is if there is any way to rebuild or recover the two first image parts? Any tool or editor or ... ?

Thank you so much,

Luc.

7. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Have you tried restoring from the rescue CD?

Just wondering if Linux might be able to see the file even if XP can't.

Colin

8. Lderib

Lderib Registered Member

Hello,

Hélas same errors when booting from Acronis rescue media CD.

Thank you,

Luc

9. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

The only thing I can suggest is that you boot your computer using the rescue disk and make a full image of the disk to an external drive.

This is possible even though you had a "crash"

Now install true image on another computer and mount the external drive so that you can copy across your vital files.

Another solution is to withdraw the drive that contains your photos and put it in a USB drive caddy. Connect to a working computer and copy your photos to it. This method does not use TI at all.

I have used both these methods and they have worked without problems. The source drives had both been " crashed " and were un-bootable in their source computers.

So there are still ways to get your data back. I would not waste any more time on the corrupt image that you have.

Xpilot

10. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

What defrag program did you use? Is this a USB external drive?

If this were my problem, and I could remove the external drive from the case, I'd mount it as an internal hard drive.

Then I'd run ErrorChecking or CHKDSK /R on the drive to fix any possible bad sectors and logical errors.

If that didn't make the backups readable, I'd copy them to another hard drive and test them there. If that failed, I think I'd give up and decide that either the defrag program or the drive caused the problem and that it wasn't repairable.

11. Lderib

Lderib Registered Member

Hello,

I'm afraid none of the above will work in my case.

I understand your advices are very valuable. But I think that due to my bad or poor description these do not solve my case.

So I will try to give you the best detailed description of what happened to me and to my data.

The Windows XP system on my computer was very unstable, a lot of application crashes and so on. So I decided to make a new installation from scratch.

1st step: I made an image of partition C: using TI v.10 home edition on an external USB drive setting to split the image. Result a backup image in a set of 15 .tib files. Mountable and restorable as I tested it.

2nd step: Reinstall win XP, taking care to fully format the partition.

3rd step: Install all the relevant application (some where in the image, so it worked) and O&O defrag which after installation asked if I wanted to defrag the volumes. I said yes. And the external USB was hooked and also went through the defrag process.

4th step: Tentative to restore data ... which desperately fails as the image can't be mounted or restored. Only the two first files are unrecognized by TI, but the first one seems to be absolutely necessary.

Now you know all.

What I need, I think, is a way to rebuild those two first files.

Any idea?

Regards,
    Luc.

12. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Luc.

Install TI 10 on your new installation if you have not already done that.
    Connect you USB drive. Now just explore till you find you data files and copy them across. I last did this when a backup could not be mounted or restored. I was able to get all the data back by simply copying from explorer.

The image had been made from an unbootable computer that blue screened at every try. The Hard drive file system was not even recognised by Acronis but it did a sector by sector backup and the result was explorable and copyable. A truly amazing and powerfull program.

Xpilot

13. Lderib

Lderib Registered Member

Hello,

Thank you Xpilot, but how can I explore?

What I have is 10 .tib files created with TI. And every try, see above printscreens, drives to an error.

Maybe there is another menu or function.

Please tell me.

Regards,
    Luc.

14. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

On the main page go to pick a tool.
    Select explore and validate backup archives.
    Open explore backup archive.
    Find your backup drive, Explore and copy what you want.

Xpiolt

15. Lderib

Lderib Registered Member

Hello Xpilot,

Bad lucK, it doesn't work.

I have to open starting image split 3, then it's shows me a image slice in an explorer window.

I double click the slice icon then it shows me a C: harddisk icon.

When I double click an empty explorer window opens and that's the end of my hope ....

Thank you for helping,

Regards,
    Luc.

16. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

One last glimmer, how long did you leave the empty explorer window before closing it ?
    It can take a little time to populate. Give it a full minute and then open a bottle of Scotch. You will need it either way !

Xpilot

17. mfabien

mfabien Registered Member

Did you "Mount" an image? Operations>Mount an Image

18. Lderib

Lderib Registered Member

Hello all,

Xpilot: Even if I give it an hour or more it doesn't populate. :'(

mfabien: The mount operation returns an error, you can see some printscreen above.

Anybody an idea for a tool that allows to explore the slices independently of the full set for seeking recoverable data?

Or a tool to rebuild a slice?

Thank you,
    Luc.

19. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

1. Why are your files split?

Are they each an incremental/differential backup? In this case defragging should not matter.

Were they split so they could be copied to optical media? In this case defragging might matter, depends on how TI splits files.

Were they split because you are using FAT 32, instead of NTFS, on the external drives? In this case defragging should not matter.

2. ALL useful defrag programs use the extremely well tested MSFT Defrag API, so it is really unlikely that the defrag program itsel caused a problem. In any case, as others have said, in general, it is pointless todefrag a drive used e4xclusively for backup.

20. GroomLake

GroomLake Registered Member

Maybe the reason I never have problems is that none of my images have any compression applied to them when they are created.

21. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Just to confirm that you have tried this method. With your archive drive plugged in and on.
    In Windows go to My Computer. Open the drive and find the slices and explore them one by one. If there is any sort of image there you should be able to copy the main bits to safety.

If there is nothing found either the images were never made in the first place or they have somehow been erased since.

Xpilot

22. Lderib

Lderib Registered Member

Hello,

Xpilot: I tried to explore all the slices one by one. The result is the two first ones ask me for a password, I have a message saying the backup is password protected but it was NOT at creation time.
    Exploring the other slices shows a drive c: icon but nothing more if you try to open.

Howard Kaikow: The images were split in order to copy them on optical media.

Thank you for your help all.

Regards,
    Luc.

23. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

I guess it's possible that TI's splitting algoritm relies onthes3ector numbers on a drive, if so, then a defrag would break such an algorithm.

Hopefully, Acronis will respond here.

24. Loafman

Loafman Registered Member

I backed up 4 years of work with true image 10. Since then I have had a hard disk failure and re installed my software. When I try and restore my 'backup.tib' (4.1gb in size) file from acronis within windows it asks for a password but I did not set a password. When I boot from the acronis CD it tries to tell me the file is corrupted. I have tested the file in everyway possible but cannot get it to work. I have not defragged the drive the backup is on, and the other files on that drive are fine. What is the compression method used by acronis, in case another program can at least recover some of the information. I am at my whits end with this as I stand to lose 4 years of work. Please can someone help!!

25. Christopher_NC

Christopher_NC Registered Member

Loafman,

Sorry about your predicament.

If your backup is a disk or partition image, rather than a files and folders backup, have you tried mounting the image? Sometimes partially corrupt archives that will not restore can still be mounted, from which you can then copy and paste files. Can you validate the image from TI in Windows?

I have no idea what password is being looked for, and that must be maddening. Perhaps Acronis support can assist you there? Have you filed a support ticket? The response time may not be swift, but at least they should know what sort of password options are available.

You are right to not mess with your drive -- any changes made may only further corrupt the image. As to the option of data recovery from a corrupt Acronis Archive - that's the achilles heel of this program. Once the file and partition information is lost within a .tib file, there is no program that can recover the contents of that file. I even spoke with a data recovery engineer about this, and they confirmed, as did Acronis Support, that even the pros can't recover data from a truly corrupt .tib file.

While this will not help you, for anyone reading this, please proceed with caution. Acronis backups are vulnerable to corruption, and can not be counted upon as the sole means of protecting original and valuable data. Save copies of your data intact, in non-proprietary files, for the best security. Putting all your important data into one large file, which must remain intact to restore, is risky.

And, with ATI images, keep several copies, in case one doesn't work when you need it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.