Acronis Startup Recovery Manager_XP+Linux dual boot

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by miguel.c, Sep 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miguel.c

miguel.c Registered Member

TI 8.928

Installing Linux after creating a secure zone and activating Acronis Startup Recovery Manager, the F.11 boot option is deleted from the MBR. I opted for installing GRUB on the MBR instead of into a partition because this was the best option for being recognized by VCOM's System Manager, which is my boot manager. I understand the best option for maintaining the F.11 boot option for the Acronis Startup Recovery Manager, would have been to have placed GRUB in the partition rather than the MBR. It was a trade off.

Questions are:
    1> can Acronis Startup Recovery Manager be reactivated without messing up my present MBR
    2> I only maintain an image backup of XP on C:/ in the Secure Zone. C:/ only has XP installed on it, apps and data or on two other partitions of HDD1, Linux is on HDD2. If a XP restore is made with the Acronis rescue bootup disk, will it maintain my MBR settings as well. I backup the MBR, just in case though.

I have tested a few backup apps and really like TI and it's creation of the Secure Zone, that is readable and manageable. Testing it now with Linux and RieserFS installed to see how it compares with the rest. GoBack royally messes up the MBR on a XP+NIX dual boot if a restore is performed. FirstWare RecoverPro 2004 by Phoenix is a real nightmare and totally unreliable. Ghost may have more advanced options, but do you need them, also not as easy to use as TI.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello miguel.c,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

1. If you want to have Acronis Startup Recovery Manager and GRUB at the same time, please do the following:

- Set the Linux boot (/root) partition Primary and Active (you can use any disk management software to do this);

- Boot in Linux and install GRUB on this partition: #/sbin/grub-install /dev/boot_partition

- Boot in Windows and activate Acronis Startup Recovery Manager;

The above refers to LILO boot manager as well. To install LILO on a certain partition use the following command: #/sbin/lilo /dev/boot_partition

2. Only the image of the entire hard drive contains MBR.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.