Acronis Secure Zone vs GoBack Deluxe

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by nealh, Jul 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nealh

nealh Registered Member

I use Go Back Deluxe on my main desktop and with one exception it seems to work real well if an issue develops to revert back to a previous disc "image"..it will use a 4gb data but at least when i have set it up I have had to create a 10gb partition for it

Do you think Acronis secure zone and startup recovery manager are as good....

Thanks

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Nealth

I am a goback fan. But you are comparing apples to oranges. First gobacks time span can be variable. Do something with really large files, or something like a defrag, and you can loose history. Also goback is of no help if the disk fails. Acronis really is a fix point in time backup. I am planning on adding it to my my list with an external hard drive.

3. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Hi Peter2150,

In your previous post in the other thread before it was moved here you said:
    I thought that if a file/folder/partition hidden or otherwise is located on the hard drive, then the right type of malware can infect it. Is this not the case? If a GoBack image file is somehow immune to malware infection, why is it immune? Other image files like Norton Ghost are not immune as far as I know.
    I know nothing of Acronis Secure Zone, but wouldn't it share the same type of vulnerability?

Thanks

4. nealh

nealh Registered Member

I am a very big fan of GoBack Deluxa as I have used it with great success but if Acronis Secure zone does the same in a better way..I am always open to change

5. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Devinco

I can not say much about GoBack.[never used it but read about it]

But Acronis Secure Zone is Secure I think because of these Reasons:-

[Ist]Is Hidden, [Or Better it is Invisible]

Ghost is not.

[2nd] Because it does not use a Windows file system Partition Table.

Unlike the others which do.

No Windows OS, nor Partition Magic, Norton Ghost or GoBack, can recognize it.

So Malware

Will need to know there is a Hidden Partition, [How windows does not]

Then it will have to be coded to look for a Hidden Partition.

Then it will have to be coded with the Hidded file system Partition Table info to acess the Partition.

Then it will need to know how the Image is Made.[Packed]

Then it will have to be coded with Packer info to inject into the Image.

That a lot of Code to Encode.

So IMHO it is Safe & Secure.

Take care,
    TheQuest :cool:

6. Peter2150

If I understand system restore correctly, it is just another location for keeping files. (I don't use it) That the files are visible and can be seen by windows explorer.

Goback stores everything in a hidden file, which in some ways acts as a drive.
    There is no way you can see what is stored short of using goback's file recovery tool.

If I am right about system restore, some nasty could theoritically find a file in the restore area and corrupt it. But it can't get to stuff in Goback.

Key with Goback is having enough history to get back before infection. THis is a function of time, and disk usage.

7. nealh

nealh Registered Member

but can Acronis secure zone be used like GoBack to make period snapshots/images of your system...without requiring more and more space...

When I have used GoBack..I have had to create a 10gb partition in order to allow a 4gb data file for GoBack but this static and never changes..I can not defrag this file or partition..I do not hing it will become infected per se but if this an infection and a GoBack "updates" its data file then you may have the infection in it of course...which is a drawback of course...

But with that said I have only had one issue with GoBack..otherwise it has left me "rollback" very easily with almost zero hassle and it works very fast....

I wonder if I chose to change the partition file system from NTFS to FAT32 if I would help secure goback from an attack...not files it would save that are infected

8. Peter2150

Bear in mind Goback doesn't create a snapshot. It is a dynamic time slice that moves with you as you work. If your system gets infected and you don't catch it right away, you may eventually have nothing but infected history.

Goback and imaging are two different things for two different purposes.

9. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, nealh

Thank you Peter2150

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

10. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

Well I´m a Goback fan too.
    Now, I´m testing version 4.0
    In one computer using True Image 8.0 build 771, they run fine.Everything is just perfect.I have tried to get back some dates and times and it´s all ok.
    In another computer also with TI, Goback started packing some files, and aborts (it didn´t install). So I have tried to erase the secure zone, and now it install fine, but after reboot, Windows XP doesn´t start, even if I disable Goback at system boot.The only way is to try the last configuration in the boot menu.But trying this, it mess up with system, so I had to use windows´s system restore to get back and uninstall Goback, then recreate secure zone again.

Any ideas to help me ?

Best Regards,

DonKid.

11. Peter2150

Hi DonKid and everyone

I have switched from Goback to Raxco's First Defense - ISR. Unlike goback it creates a snapshot in time, that is a complete safe image of your computer. Like Goback, FDISR has to be disabled to do a disk image. This is because they both modify the Master Boot Record. When you disable Goback you loose all history, not so with FDISR. The snapshot is there until you either remove it or update. Also you can boot into the other snapshot and work with it like it is your real system. Great for testing unknown software. Finally unlike goback which will shut itself off if there is excessive activity, this isn't a problem with FD-ISR. Check it out at www.raxco.com

Pete

12. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Both FD-ISR and GoBack have a way to "hide" and protect the file or folder that they are using, NOTHING can penetrate, at least not yet. Peter, I am almost positive that you CAN image while keeping FD enabled, you can check with tech support on that one, I did and if I remember correctly the later versions of FD can remain enabled, but you are right, even if you do disable you do not lose the history. I used Goback for five years and loved that program, I could easily go back (sorry about that) to using it if I had too but this FD-ISR is too awesome to believe. I loaded SP2 and Firefox onto an "experimental" Snapshot to test them out. You can have completely different configurations of WinXP on your pc all at the same time, test different firewall, virus scanners, whatever, totally without effecting the other Snapshots. I currently have 10 different c:drives (10 is the limit for this program) on my pc, like I said, awesome, but only recommended for those with LOTS of room to spare on the hard drive.

Acadia

13. Peter2150

Hi Acadia and others.

Your right it's awesome. It was great for testing firewalls. I only use one snapshot even though I have lots of disk space. Having more snapshots really slows down the imaging stuff. I use two image programs as well as Dantz retrospect. My first images I didn't disable preboot in FDISR, then I started to ask techsupport about disabling for imaging but then read this in the help file:

Disabling the FirstDefense-ISR Pre-boot
    Normally you will want to leave the FirstDefense-ISR Pre-boot enabled, but there are times where you may wish to disable the Pre-boot. For example, if you are going to use a drive imaging program to make an image of your system disk, or any other application that modifies the Master Boot Record, the Pre-boot must be disabled before the image is made otherwise the image will be unbootable.

Pete

14. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Peter I am almost positive that this is for the older version and they never updated the help file, BUT, before you experiment I would double-check with tech support in case I am not remembering things correctly. You're right, having multiple snapshots makes for HUGE images.

BTW, there have been a couple of Build updates for FD, check here:
    http://www.raxco.com/Support/windows/updates.cfm#fdisr

Acadia

Last edited: Sep 21, 2004
  15. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

Hi Folks,

Thanks a lot for helping me.

I´ll check this program.

Best Regards,

DonKid.

16. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

hummmm...it only supports NTFS ? Too bad for me.

Anyway, thanks a lot for helping me.

DonKid.

17. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Yes, it needs the special features of NTFS to perform its "magic".

Acadia

18. Peter2150

Hi Acadia

Checked, I've got the latest build. Emailed Greg about the Preboot question. I'll post his answer.

Pete

19. Peter2150

Hi Acadia

Ended up talking on the phone with Jason about the disabling Preboot issue for disk imaging. He said technically you were right, but that some imaging programs might look the MBR and that could cause problems. The safe rather than sorry approach is to disable preboot. Actually when I do a disk image what I do is:

1) disable FD-ISR Preboot
    2) remove DCS Wormguard Protection
    3) disable DCS Process Guard
    4) disable my antivirus

Might seem extreme, but just safer to avoid conflicts then discover an image won't restore.

Pete

20. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Peter, thanks for the info, I shall also follow the "better safe than sorry" method from now on.

Acadia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.