Acronis Rescue Builder Media Queries?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by eDOC786, May 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eDOC786

eDOC786 Registered Member

Hi there,

I have 2 machines, one running XP Pro with 2 GB of physical memory & other running Vista Home Premium with 4 GB of memory.

The sizes of the hard disk/ partitions are different too.

I use Disk Director Suite 10 & True Image 11.

Use boot media for partitioning, imaging & restoration……learnt it from Norton Ghost the advantages of hot imaging vs. cold.

Have no issues with DD & partition creations & have no issues as to image creation.

It’s the image restoration I have queries about:

1. Created an image of XP Pro, size on hard disk was 12.5 GB, size of the .tib image was approx 5.69 GB, but when image was restored to the same drive/partition the size was 11.4 GB on the disk/partition?

2. Use the same boot media for Vista there when I restore an image & run CHKDSK the Windows Vista logo on the top black screen disappears?

Am I having these issues cause of the following reasons?

a. Using the same Rescue boot media on 2 machines with different hardware specs, like memory?

b. Does one need to have separate Rescue boot media for both the machines or can one work on both?

c. While performing a CHDSK on XP Pro the Microsoft Windows XP logo doesn’t disappear but it does in Vista?

d. Why does the size of the restored image which was 12.5 GB decrease to 11.4 GB the moment the image is restored?

Hoping to hear from you smart people,

Thanks.

Last edited: May 30, 2009
  2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

The bootable Rescue CD can be used on any machine.

One possible reason for the smaller size of the restored image is the absence of the swap file, which is excluded when the Image is made. But after the first re-boot, the swap file should be re-appear.

3. eDOC786

Logic accepted, but despite reboots & checking the size of page file set initially, still is 11.4 GB on the same drive rather than 12.5 GB as was initially when image was created?
    Should I burn 2 boot media CDs, one each for DD & other for TI 11, rather than both one one……size of both on Rescue boot media is 90.1 MB.

Thanks any ways.

4. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Personally I would rather have two copies of both on one, just in case you lose one or it gets scratched.

5. eDOC786

A few questions:

1. While using DD a partition is created which it names as G.

2. TI 11 reads it as D, why?

3. Supposedly a partition is sized 20 GB with a system managed page file setting checked & size of the image created is 8 GB. Now if this image is restored will its size be 20 GB on the disk too?

4. I agree page file if set is not in the image but its setting should be stored………….why does the image restored has a different size than what was created even after a reboot or setting the page file to original values……isn’t page file data also stored on the image created?

5. Why does DD in windows mode shows approx 2 GB of RAM, under my Computer even if the RAM size is more?

6. While using TI on boot it pauses for a moment displaying something like ati, port closed, for a brief moment what’s that?

7. Is Acronis still experimenting cause I am having issues even with the newly bought version 2009 & DD 10 2160……..Norton Ghost 7/8 used to create better hot/boot images than TI 2009.

8. Lastly why does Vista logo disappear while perferoming a CHKDSK on a restored image?

Hoping to hear your thoughts.

Thanks.

6. eDOC786

Why defragmented vs non defragmented data have the same size of image created…….though the size of the first on the disk is much more than that of the later?

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.