Acronis OS-Selector looses Suse Linux Professional

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by kite, Feb 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kite

kite Guest

hi,

yesterday i changed something on my suse linux 9.2 partition and had to reinstall the grub-bootloader. now acronis os-selector no longer recognizes the linux partition.

it shows a red icon with a cross in it over the linux icon. in the left pane it shows a message, that the boot partition is missing.

this latter message is not true. i'm stable able to boot into linux with the nt-bootloader through boot.ini. no problem.

what can i do about this? how to convince acronis os-selector to recognize suse linux professional again?

i did run a repair over acronis os-selector. no result.

kite

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello kite,

Thank you for using Acronis software (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/).

Could you please try to delete the Linux icon and then reboot your computer in order to allow Acronis OS Selector to detect your Suse Linux again?

If that doesn't help please do the following:

- Download the Acronis Report utility from http://www.acronis.com/files/support/AcronisReport.exe;
    - Run Acronis Report utility and select the "Create bootable floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the floppy drive and proceed with creating the bootable diskette;
    - Boot the computer under consideration from this diskette and wait for report creation process to complete;
    - Send the 'report.txt' file from the floppy disk to support@acronis.com along with the reference to this thread.

This would provide us with detailed information on the hard disk partition structure.

Thank you.

--
    Andrew Berezovsky

3. kite

kite Guest

deleted the linux icon;
    re-activated os-selector;
    booted the machine:

no new linux icon...

as for the other suggestion:

earlier this day i sent 2 reports to support@acronis.com in reply to an email of ivan.

please solve the problem. your product is not working properly.

kite

4. Acronis Support

Hello kite,

Could you please tell me your Acronis request # which was sent to you in autoreply to the first letter? I will find out the reason for the delay.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. kite

kite Guest

hi ilya,

the discussion started in december 2004 with your collegue michael gilkin. the request code then was:

[Acronis #180120] Acronis Os-selector issues

michael was responsive and promised relieve in the next build of disk director, but that was not the case. after reporting on that he sent me a prerelease of build 534 of disckdirector.

os-selector still showed it's malfunctioning.

recently i filed a new request and got a reply from your collegue ivan belinsky. this one was registered with code:

[Acronis #205305] Problem with Acronis OS-Selector

at first ivan thought he could solve the problem by pointing me to activating os-selector, but then i answered that such a simple solution was already tried. then i sent him the output of acronis report, which was run from a bootable floppy.

the latter was done at the 4th of march 2005 so that is not too long ago.

please solve the problems with os-selector. maybe michael and ivan can work together on this? ;-)

other products (true image, disk director itself and privacy expert) work excellent. this should be possible for os-selector too.

best regards,

kite <just bought and installed privacy suite 8.0 and that seems to work>

6. Acronis Support

Hello kite,

I have contacted Michael and Ivan. They are investigating your problem with Acronis Development Team. We are really sorry for the long time necessary for the solution. You will be contacted soon.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

7. kite

kite Guest

thank you ilya.

ivan contacted me this morning by email and asked me to install build 534...

<sigh>

that is the build michael asked me to install and try at 14 february 2005. it doesn't work. i communicated that to michael and then on 18 february 2005 he gave me a link to an (internalo_O) update of build 534. that doesn't work either.

i already told that to michael... build 534 shows no difference in os-selector behaviour compared to earlier releases. os-selector still doesn't not work.

please solve the problem with os-selector.

kite

8. kite

kite Guest

to be absolutely sure i just installed build 534 over build 534...

os-selector still not functional. it does not recognize:

- ms-dos 7.1 partition (primary non-active partition);
    - bartpe partition (primary non-active partition);
    - suse linux professional partition (logical partition);
    - microsoft recovery console (present on the first active primary partition along windowsxp professional).

only the first active primary partition with windows xp professional is recognized.

kite

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.