Acronis Loader Fatal Error - partial solution

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by solunauk, May 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solunauk

solunauk Registered Member

My desktop PC would not boot from the rescue CD I created via an ISO image, giving "Acronis loader fatal error: Boot drive (partition) not found." My laptop booted fine with the same CD however.

I found a solution here:
    http://www.sur-la-toile.com/viewTopic_15554_15_Une-solution-aux-problemes-de-boot-.html

My PC is set up with the OS (Windows 2000 Pro, SP4) on a HDD on the primary IDE channel (master only), a second non-bootable HDD (master, data and apps) and CD-ROM drive (slave) on the secondary IDE channel. I went into the BIOS and disabled the second HDD so that only the CD drive (left as slave) would be seen on the secondary channel, rebooted and the bootable CD loaded the program without any problem.

This is far from an ideal solution, however, as it means that I won't be able to backup or restore my second HDD via the bootable CD. Does anyone have a better solution or an explanation for this glitch?

Sol (Acronis TI9.0 build 3625)

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

You could also put the second HD on the primary channel as Slave. I never mix optical drives with HDs on the same channel. The optical drive may cause the HD to run at a slower rate but this depends on your system, some do some don't.

What about trying the CD drive as the master on the secondary channel if you don't like the first idea?

3. solunauk

solunauk Registered Member

Thanks for your reply.

I've read a few conflicting reports about the best way to arrange HDD and CD drives on the IDE channels. Some say the ATA33 CD drive will slow down the ATA100 HDD on the same channel, but I would have thought that's only if the CD is actually being used concurrently? Worth bearing in mind if you do a lot of CD reading/burning, maybe, but I rarely use my CD drive. On the other hand, with two HDDs on a single controller wouldn't there be data throughput limitations/bottlenecks when both are in use?

Originally I tried using both hard drives on the primary channel and just the CD on the secondary, but my subjective impression is that the PC works a bit faster the way it is now. Is there any way of testing the difference quantitatively?

I haven't tried Acronis TI with the two HDDs on one channel, but I'll give it a go if that arrangement's not going to mean a performance hit in general use.

There still must be some sort of glitch in the Acronis software, though, to necessitate this workaround?

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello solunauk,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please download and install the latest build (3633) of Acronis True Image 9.0 which is available in the Product Updates section of our web-site.

Please recreate the bootable rescue media with the latest build and see whether the problem still persists.

If the problem still remains, please follow the recommendations of seekforever.

If that does not help, please make a digital photo of your BIOS settings.

Please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.