Acronis Killed My Drive?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by NinjaNoodles, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NinjaNoodles

NinjaNoodles Registered Member

Hi,

I just installed Acronis TI 10 and started to make DVD backups. The operation was to require 3 disks, and all went according to plan until the last disk finished with the error of "poor media quality."

Since then, nothing will burn to DVD. WMP, Acronis, iTunes, not even Windows. In fact, Windows can't even format a disk anymore. It says "Windows was unable to complete the format." (Yes, I tried the hotfix.)

I've tried looking for driver updates, uninstalling the driver, System Restore, resetting the BIOS - just about everything but a complete reformat. Ironic that a backup program would lead to the loss of all data.

Any suggestions?

- Peter

EDIT: It might be noteworthy that after the Acronis installation, my system went into it's pre-Windows interface and froze at the "loading..." screen. It should also be noted that I have had success (albeit I haven't tried to restore the data) backing up to an external HD.

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

3. NinjaNoodles

NinjaNoodles Registered Member

I understand that software doesn't kill hardware, however software can kill system files.

The drive is brand new, as is the computer. Yes, it is possible that it just died on the third DVD, but rather unlikely IMO.

Unrelated question:

Can a TI backup at normal compression be used to transfer an entire system to a new OEM hard drive? In other words, if Sony replaces my hard drive, can I use TI to restore my old system? Will there be conflicts with Windows and software keys?

Thanks,
    Peter

4. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Yes you can do that see How to restore to a replacement hard drive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.