Acronis Image backup and incrementals

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by getawini, Sep 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. getawini

getawini Registered Member

I am so confused. I did a full image backup when I first installed Acronis. I then scheduled incremental backups for every Monday. I now have 9 incremental backups. So If I continue this I will have like 52+ backups which eventually will use up on the hard drive. I backup to a second hard drive. Sorry I'm really new at this. Is it really necessary to do incremenatal backups. If I understand correctly you can't delete the incremental backups because all of them are necessary if you ever have to restore? My question is couldn't I just do a full image each time I want to do a backup and delete the precious one and thus saving disk space. Or do you have any other suggestions.
    Thank you.

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

I'm with you! I only make full system backups and then look back and delete ones that are not important. For example, if you make a full system backup every Monday, some will be the same hardware and software as the previous weeks (but with new data), and some will be after a new piece of hardware is installed, a new program is installed or a whole lot of updates have been installed (for example, MS has many patches on the second Tuesday of each month). I delete the ones that are just like previous weeks except for the last one before a major change. After I have determined that what ever the change was didn't break anything, I can delete the one just before the change. I keep some old backups just in case there is a need to go way back, but the space used is not a problem.

Oh, don't forget to make a full system backup before installing any new hardware or software. That way if the installation goes to hell in a hand basket, you can just restore the image and try again.

3. milesc

milesc Registered Member

I (Miles) have a question about incremental backups when partway through the sequence you have done an XP System Restore. This changes the registry to an earlier one. I suspect this jumbles the TI incremental backup sequence as the increments are no longer in a clear sequence. Any ideas? I suspect you can only use TI to restore from increments before the XP System Restore was done.

4. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

TI incrementals will continue to work fine. TI does not work on a file basis but an in use sector basis. Doing a System Restore would be no different than creating, deleting or modifying any file.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.