acronis home 10 - backup space limitation ignored?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jkrueger, Dec 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkrueger

jkrueger Registered Member

hello forum,

we use acronis true image 10 home. we created a backup space on a usb device. we only set the maximum space limit to 100 gb. the capacity of the whole usb device is 120 gb. there no other files on this device und no other program writes data on this device. nevertheless acronis fill the usb device until it is full and do not delete old images. we use the option to create one full back up after that 3 differential images and after that a full image und so on ...

what ist wrong with our settings? the software is the current build.

thank you.

best regards,
    josef krüger

2. CatFan432

CatFan432 Registered Member

Josef,

When you designated the location of your backup task, did you send it to Backup Locations, or to the USB drive? Tasks have to be pointed to the Backup Location you set up in order to work correctly. Look toward the top of your file tree. I'm fairly certain this isn't spelled out in the manual. Your files names should be in this format if you've got everything set up correctly: 2006_12_19_06_25_13_262D.TIB

I hope this helps, CF

Last edited: Dec 21, 2006
  3. jkrueger

that is set correctly. the filenames look like you wrote.

can there be compatibility problem with differential images. how does acronis calculate the space needed and delete old images before create a new one?

josef krüger

4. CatFan432

CatFan432 Registered Member

Josef,

I tried with a smaller set of files and restrictions to duplicate your problem, but TI behaved as it should, either combining some differential files or deleting a full backup to stay within the limit. I am not sure how Acronis does their calculations.

Approximately how large are your backup files? Are you sending more than one specific backup task to your backup location?

This is how I set the two screens to test your setup, except instead of the 100 GB I used a much smaller limit, just to speed up the test. If everything looks right, you might delete the Backup Location you set up, taking care not to check the “Remove Archive Contents” box, and create it again just like you had it.

Attached Files:

• A.jpg
      A.jpg
      File size:
      88.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2006
  5. jkrueger

thanks for your work CatFan432 !

these are my settings. sometimes the backup tasks succeeds, sometime it doesn't.

i will follow the problem next year. merry x-mas !

6. shieber

shieber Registered Member

This problem can happen installing over an old version or even if you unistall an older version first and then install ATI10. It happened to me on 3 diff machines. I suspect but have not confirmed that the security software is somehow interfering with the installer.

In any event, try unistalling, then deleting the Acronis directories under Program Files, Program Files\Common Files, Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Acronis. If you have a registry tool, search for and delete all the entries that have "trueimage" or "acronis" in them. Regedit will suffice for the registry work but it's kind of tedious. Then delete or move any files from you Managed Backup Locations.

Then try installing again. Create new Managed Backup Locations and edit your tasks to point to the new directories.

This worked for me each time I had this problem.

good luck,
    sh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.