Acronis for Linux and IOMEGA REV

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by pmnascimento, Jul 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pmnascimento

pmnascimento Registered Member

Hi there,

I've installed the Acronis True Image 8.0 Server for Linux build 918 Trial version to test if it works with the USB version of Iomega REV drive.

The system recognizes the drive because when I issue the following command - cat /proc/scsi/scsi - it lists the drive. The linux box is a RED HAT 9.0 kernel 2.4.20-8.

Unfortunately True Image doesn't recognize the drive when I try to create or restore an image. I also tried using the RescueCD but it doesn't work.

Does anybody know if the Iomega REV is supported? If not, will it be in the future?

Paulo
    Lisbon, Portugal

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Paulo,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Linux Server Disk Backup Software.

Iomega REV drive is supported by Acronis True Image 8.0 Server for Linux. Please note that you need to mount this device before you launch the program. Also please let me know whether you are trying to restore the image or to create the image of a Iomega drive?

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. pmnascimento

Hi there,

As I'm testing your product I was trying to first create an image on KDE and then (in order to simulate a disk crash) use the rescue cd to restore the image.

Could you provide instructions for this? I was unable to proceed with this simple test.

Thanking you in advance.

Paulo

4. Acronis Support

Hello Paulo,

In order to restore the image you need to choose the "Restore Image" wizard and follow its directions. The detailes of image restoration are described un the User's Guide (Chapter 5).

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. pmnascimento

Hi there,

I've mounted the REV under Linux. The KDE lists the contents of the REV disk. So, the disk is mounted and accesssible under Linux. However the disk is listed as a CD-ROM and so it's read only. That's the standard way Linux "sees" REV drives.

I understand perfectly the steps to make an image under trueimage and also to restore it. However when I try to create an image the REV is not listed on the screen that asks for the file name of the backup file. It lists the local drive, NFS and SAMBA only. That's the problem I'm having.

Thanking you in advance.

Paulo

6. Acronis Support

Hello Paulo,

The problem is that under Linux you cannot open Iomega drive for write access. It means that Acronis True Image 8.0 Server for Linux will list the Iomega drive only in the "Restore Image" wizard because you can read the images stored on this device.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

7. pmnascimento

Hi there,

So if I'm not able to write to the REV device what's the approach you recommend?

Another question: How can I mount the REV using the rescue CD?

Thanking you in advance.

Paulo

8. Acronis Support

Hello Paulo,

You don't need to mount any devices when you use Acronis Bootable CD. All of them are mounted automatically. However, since Iomega doesn't supply Linux drivers for their devices currently it is possible to write to this drive only under Windows. As soon as drivers are available we will implement it in Acronis Bootable CD.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.