ACronis failed to restore image on SATA hard drive !!!!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Robotelu, Mar 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robotelu

Robotelu Registered Member

I made an image of the wind part C and when i tried to restore this image on this hard acronis in dos didn't saw the hard from DOS when i tried to restore the image !!! It is a problem with hard SATA !!
    I am disperate because i've always used the acronis to make image of the hard ATA and now it doesn't work on SATA !!
    Why ?
    Could someone please tell me why plzzzzz

I have : Sempron 3000+ 64 biti , Mother board Asus K8N4-E , video card Gforce 7300 256 mb PCI , Hard drive sata 250 gb
    acronis is not seeing my hard on DOS to restore an image !!! The message is that he can't detect any hard present !!!The Acronis i am using is Acronis True Image Server 8.0 !!!!!
    Symantec norton ghost 2005 works with SATA hard drives o_O

Last edited: Mar 17, 2006
  2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

You've made 3 identical posts about 5 minutes apart. Please be patient!!!

TI does work with SATA drives. You are going to have to post more information describing your system, exactly what the symptoms are, version of True Image you are using and any other relevant details you think might be useful.

By the way, the recovery environment is Linux, not DOS.

3. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

One thread per issue, please. The other two duplicates have been removed.

4. joema

joema Registered Member

I had what may be the same problem: TI 9 disk clone from Maxtor 160GB EIDE drive to Maxtor 200GB SATA drive. Behavior: after disk clone, both drives would not boot. Tried using XP recovery console and chkdsk /R, Fixmbr, fixboot,and bootcfg /rebuild. No solution found, had to install and boot from backup hard drive and salvage files from non-bootable drives.

Details:
    Windows XP SP2 home edition
    eMachines T3265, 1GB RAM
    True Image 9, build 2337

Master drive: EIDE drive (using motherboard controller): Maxtor 160GB 7200RPM DiamondMax Plus 9 EIDE, UDMA/133, 7200 RPM - Model: 6Y160P0
    Slave drive: SATA Drive: Maxtor 200GB 7200 RPM DiamondMax 10, Model: 6L200M0
    Controller for EIDE master drive: Built-in motherboard controller: nvidia nForce2 IDE controller, driver 6.1.2600.0
    Controller for SATA slave drive: Maxtor IDE Combo controller: Ultra ATA/133, PCI, Serial ATA/150, model number: K01PCSATA

SATA drive formatted with Maxtor MaxBlast 4 utility.

Procedure: TI 9 disk clone from EIDE to SATA drive, change EIDE to slave using cable select, set SATA drive as boot using MaxBlast 4, SATA drive won't boot. Remove SATA drive, make EIDE master drive, it won't boot. Boot using XP recovery console, try chkdsk /R, Fixmbr, fixboot,and bootcfg /rebuild, still won't boot -- hangs on Windows screen. Tried various other things several hrs, gave up and installed backup EIDE hard drive with XP, put non-bootable EIDE drive in slave position, salvaged data.

Returned SATA drive, got new EIDE Maxtor DiamondMax 10 250GB PATA133 drive, followed same above TI 9 procedure, clone worked perfectly.

5. joema

joema Registered Member

I opened a support case with Acronis for this problem.

6. x=y+z

x=y+z Registered Member

I am not sure why you need to use Maxtor MaxBlast utility to set the cloned SATA drive as a boot drive after it was cloned since the boot sector of the source drive is also cloned. That may cause the problem that you encountered. I have done cloning from a PATA drive (Seagate 160GB ST3160023A) to a SATA drive (Maxtor 100GB 6L100M0) a few times without any problems. I have never used MaxBlast or any other utilities to make the cloned drive bootable. There is no need to do that. Here is a simple procedure I use.
    1) Use TI9 (build 2337) to clone a PATA boot drive to a SATA drive. Sizes of partitions can be adjusted as needed.
    NOTE: There is NO need to format the target SATA drive before cloning.
    2) After the cloning is done turn the PC off and disconnect the PATA boot drive from the IDE cable.
    3) Simply boot the PC from the cloned SATA drive, which is still connected to a SATA controller card (Sil 3114).

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Robotelu,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please make sure that you use the latest build (101:cool: of Acronis True Image 8.0 Server for Windows which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update, boot the computer from this CD and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists with Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (101:cool: of Acronis True Image 8.0 Server for Windows then please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If that does not help then please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Note that since you use an older version of Acronis True Image Server for Windows you should press F11 button when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears and not when the selection screen appears (Acronis True Image 8.0 Server for Windows Bootable Rescue CD does not have this selection screen).

Please also provide us with the following information:

- Download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.1 Server for Windows, create new Bootable Rescue CD and see if the problem still persists. Inform us about the result;

- Provide us with the exact text of the error message that you receive;

- Let us know when exactly you receive this error message;

- What are the exact vendors and models of your SATA controller and SATA hard drives?

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the information about your purchase of Acronis software (order number, e-mail, where did you purchase our product, etc.) and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

8. joema

joema Registered Member

Thanks for the reponse. I think I used MaxBlast because I thought it was necessary to set it as the boot drive. Unlike PATA, there is no "drive select" or "cable select".

Your experience indicates this wasn't necessary, so maybe MaxBlast was the problem cause, maybe in conjuction with True Image.

Despite reading all the links, I still don't fully understand why keeping both drives connected after cloning is a problem. The slave drive isn't a boot device -- just a data drive. It seems you should be able to keep both drives connected and if the master fails, just reconfigure the slave as the boot device.

That's exactly what I've done when using VCOM Copy Commander and it works fine (PATA->PATA, didn't try on SATA). I prefer to use True Image, since it's more sophisticated and much faster.

I used True Image on PATA->PATA, removing the cloned drive as recommended, and that also worked fine.

Even if I chalk up the "no boot" problem to Maxstore MaxBlast, I don't fully understand why both drives can't stay connected after cloning, especially since it causes no problems with Copy Commander.

9. seekforever

Unless XP in Copy Commander 9 is different than their Windows 2000 case, they refer to not letting the systems reboot, removing the original drive, changing the jumpers and then restarting.

See their tips on copying win2k to a new drive.

Here is part of the procedure:
    9) Shutdown completely.

DO NOT REBOOT THE SYSTEM INTO WINDOWS 2000 ON EITHER DRIVE.

10) Remove or disconnect the original drive.

10. JARd1st

JARd1st Registered Member

My SATA system drive is detected as E: in the TI recovery disk.

Be sure to select the correct drive, regardless of the letter, to restore to, and don't lable the drive, choose Don't Lable.

11. joema

joema Registered Member

Thanks for that. Maybe I've just been lucky when using Copy Commander.

12. seekforever

You are referring to not using the drives together when the cloned system is first restarted, aren't you?

After the first reboot I don't think there is any problem putting the original HD back in the system regardless of which program did the clone because XP is now happy with its letter assignments.

13. Robotelu

Robotelu Registered Member

ACronis succeded to restore image on SATA hard drive !!!!

Finally Acronis true image 9.0 solved the problem !! This version saw :cool: the hard from dos and restore the image to C ! ( but acronis 8.0 server failed to do this task )
    Thanks for those who helped me !!!

14. seekforever

Glad you were sucessful. It appears that TI8 doesn't have the drivers for your SATA disk. Do you have the latest V8 build?

By the way, the standalone restore environment is Linux not DOS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.