Acronis Disk Imaging Problems

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by New User, Aug 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. New User

New User Guest

Hi, I've used acronis true image 7 the first time and it seemed to back up my C: drive (of 120gig) ok. But, for some strange reason.. it now keeps reporting an imaged .tib file as corrupt every time I check it using disk check.

I'm using Windows XP with all updates installed etc.. quite a few programs installed. Always installing new ones. Could this be a problem?

I tried to image it twice and it corrupted both times. And I disabled all running programs the second time and it still did it. So now, I've changed virus software, run MSReg clean and updated to version 8 of your software.

But, why is it doing this? what causes this problem?

I like the idea of the program and how it simplifys things for me. I really don't want to have to reinstall every single program when it comes to the stage where I have an hard disk crash or something. Please help

2. New User

New User Guest

WOW

28 views and not a single reply, must admit, you lot are very helpful :)

You'll be pleased to know that I've worked around the problem and it seems to be verifying perfectly now. Maybe it was Acronis TI's problem with being able to back 'every' type of running software, i,e virus checker, NOD32. Well, that's what I guess it was. If it wasn't that, then it was a flaw in the previous version of TI I was using or some other obsure thing.

Jeez, this backing up is a complete pain in the árse. Nothing ever goes right, even when you use 'supposed' top quality software like Tue Image. I'll tell you another thing too....

It BETTER work on the restore, otherwise I'm going to throw a right fit, uninstall TI and call it a right P.O.S.

Thanks again for your help.

3. mike_wells

mike_wells Registered Member

WOW!

28 views! Do you think that just maybe, those "28" might have been searching for an answer just like you were when you posted? Those of us that do our best at providing solutions do so on a voluntary basis and that does not include watching the "tube" 24/7 for incoming!

Now on to your original issue; if you would care to read my thread titled "My Backup/Restore Procedures With TI", I think you would benefit and perhaps change your mind about "backing up is a complete pain in the arse". The topic presents some issues of which you are probably not aware! Especially with respect to restores. Currently it is located on Page 1 of the Acronis True Image Forum.

I hope this has been of at least some help to you! *puppy*

4. New User

New User Guest

Great! A reply!

I've read the manuals etc. Don't just assume that I'm some sort of amateur, because I do know what I'm doing to an extent. Hence the reason why I solved the problem. I just like to do several things at once, and one fo those things was to make a post asking for help whilst I was trying to find a solution.

Man, what is all this rubbish about respecting backing up procedures? It IS a pain in the árse, I'm sure millions would agree. Who in their right mind wants to spend ages backing up their hard drive? Do you think I enjoyed having all this árse ache from it? No, didn't think so.

Seeing as your answer wasn't much help as to why this is happened. Maybe you could do something 'useful' and get in touch with the guys responsible for A-TI. Get 'em to look into it's ability to back up in windows properly? I'm sure NOD32 was responsible for a constant 'corrupt' message on checking.

Anyway, thank you for replying... finally.

5. mike_wells

mike_wells Registered Member

I have already DONE something USEFUL Sir! And that was to try and give you some help. It's obvious that you do not want any solutions. You prefer problems! Now, Sir, I am terribly sorry that my "answer wasn't much help". I would suggest with an attitude like yours that you COME UP with your own answers. And speaking of "useful" just what is it that you have done for this Forum as of late? For that matter, as of anytime? Furthermore, as a "Guest" you might just want to show some tiny bit of respect for the registered members of this Forum!

Mike Wells *puppy*

Last edited: Aug 13, 2004
  6. Hi,mate,

Just out of interest,are you spanning the image across loads of (i.e. more than one) 700mb CDR?
    Or are you using a single DVD (maybe even dual layer,given the size of the HD)?

Reason I ask is,TI works for me everytime without fail.I love it.However,only when I use a single disc.The occasions I attempted to create an image that was too big for one disc,so lapsed into two - on attempting a restore,they'd be corrupted everytime.No big deal for me since I'm a software test-pilot *grin*.A right royal pain in the r's for anyone whos life depended upon it though.
    My solution was to use a DVD for burning the image onto.Get a dual layer burner and of course you'll double the capacity of the disc.

Also...AV programmes can and do sometimes comandeer the boot process.I've made slipstreamed discs before now that were buggered because ntldr was missing-a problem that was resolved instantly by removing the way-too servere A.V I was running (while I performed the slipstream procedure).As a rule,when it comes to cloning,I never do it with my AV installed.I prefer always to install that afresh-no way of telling if a crucial .dll gets damaged during the ghosting process..Plus,it could be two years til you need to recover from that disc.

BTW-28 views is cool,it just means maybe 28 people read it but didn't know what the solution was and sloped away all forlorn cos they wanted to help but couldn't.

Cherio.

7. noonie

noonie Registered Member

NewUser
    I didn't see where you mentioned you saved the tib's. Was it on another drive or on cd's?
    Did you image from within windows (I think) or from the Ti boot disk? (I prefer)

Nod 32 shouldn't cause Ti not to work properly. Just because the image check finally ran fine, I hope you won't just leave it at that. If I were you I would test a total restore on another drive before a disaster. Try to be as safe as possible, after all that's why we all got Ti in the first place

8. New User

New User Guest

Mike, erm, well I haven't done much for the forum as I'm new .. er... which is why I have the name: "new user" :-s.. er.. k. As for doing something useful, that's another thing. Being of help is useful, trying to help is nice but pretty much 'useless' :p...

Oh yeah, and.. DAMN RIGHT I'M A SIR! I like your manners :p

Fresh, I'm creating one big image that comes to just under a 100gb. Nice tips though, very 'helpful'. Especially the one about the splitting the image. Thanks, I'll give it a try. But, as for backing up to DVD, I don't fancy playing around with 20+ discs (another example why backing up is considered 'arse áche')......

I've never heard of a dual layer burner though?? It doubles the capacity of a 4.7gb disc you say? Hmm, how much and where can I get one of those?? I have a DVD burner now, but I don't think it's a dual layer - anyway to check?? Very helpful man, thanks.

NoOnie, you seem like a wise person. I didn't give up, I got it working.. somehow. Like one of those flukes where you just haven't the faintest idea how to do again. If you know what I mean. And as for restoring to an empty hard disk to test.. I WISH I had a spare one lying around :-(. It's a shame most people will only know if it works when the time to restore comes around.

9. New User,

Dual layer DVD burners are the dogs ****ocks,mate.I don't come here very often anymore since it started to become so hostile.Catch me later at http://cexx.org and we'll have a proper chinwag about them.(Don't worry,cexx is a very reputable anti-malware forum,like this one).

Start a "dual Layer DVD" thread or something so everyone can join in.See if we can't get this here backup malarky off pat 'n' all.

Toodle-pips!

10. New User

New User Guest

Good Man! lol

11. noonie

noonie Registered Member

Fresh
    That's fairly large and timeconsuming for even dual layer dvds. You fastet and cheapest method would still be another hdrive. They are relatively inexpensive these days. A pricewatch search should show a 120gig ide for around 70 buck. Check the bigger chains online like OfficeMax, Best Buy, CompUSA etc. They usually run weekly sales with 120 gigs as low as 39.95 with rebates. Depends on how much you value your data/time. Dvd dual layer is very new and media is still very expensive. Right now a hard drive is cheaper and much easier especially if you use removeable trays
    BTW I have never had trouble with Ti spanning multiple cds or dvds, but I image to hdrive first and then burn to disk with 3rd party software.

12. noonie-that's a superb idea,too.I just love dual layer DVD technology and wanted to discuss it further!

Got my dual-layer burner for £12 when I bought my new computer.It works for me vis-a-vis Acronis.

The only reservation I'd have with regards to backing up onto another ide drive is there's always the possibility of viral infection/corruption...plus,I can't carry a hd round in my pocket.

I don't know..just makes me feel more secure if I know it's read-only and safely nestled away in a drawer.

13. noonie

noonie Registered Member

All of my hdrives are on portable trays. You power down, pull them out, put in drawer and they're safe. If you use scsi hdrives, you don't even have to power down
    For portability, discs are great

14. New User

New User Guest

What do you mean by portable trays? You load them into your PC, i.e. front loading?? :-s. I've already got about 4 hard drives. I have two internals and two externals that I use to backup the internals with.

I prefer to only use Acronis TI with the main C: drive as it holds the OS, settings, etc. I just drag and drop the second internal's files across to both externals. I just feel that if something does go wrong with this .tib image(s), one drive will be gone instead of two :-D.

Unlike you fresh, I consider any type of compact disc to be even less reliable than a HDD. Who knows when it's going to fail on you?

15. noonie

noonie Registered Member

newuser:
    Here is a link to what I mean
    Where to buy
    the part the hdrive mounts into is the tray and the part that receives the tray that is mounted into the bay is called the rack.
    Buy extras to put in extra computers and you have large capacity removeable media.
    I keep separate ones for just internet, accounting, video etc.
    I keep a separate hdrive with a separate os on it just for my 4 year old daughter and her learning games. So realistically it becomes her complete computer to trash as she wishes, no big deal. Saves us the hassle of having more than one setup at home because they are not used much there anyway.
    As many options as your imagination.

16. New User

New User Guest

That seems interesting noonie...

So, do these racks sit anywhere plugging into USB 2 or firewire? Like an enclosure kit where you can slot a different hard drive into it whenver you want?

Thanks

17. New User

New User Guest

Reason I ask this is because (sorry bout the second post) I see no way of being able to rack mount any hard drive in my ATX Case. It doesn't have any opening to front load. Only way I can see connecting a rack mount device would be through USB and/or firewire. Which'll slow down the data transfer :-(

18. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

New User,

Could you please answer the following questions:
    - Where do you save your images?
    - Do you verify the images in Windows or by starting Acronis True Image from bootable media?

19. Another new

Another new Guest

Anton,
    I have the same problem, backing up 29 GB image from an 80 GB NTFS drive with 2 partitions from within WinXP, backed up to an external connected USB enclosure with 160 GB hard drive. Verified corrupt from both within Windows and from bootable media.

20. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Another new --

If you have the latest build of the product, please, try to create an image on your hard drive and see if it is corrupted as well.

In case the problem still stays with the latest build, please contact Acronis Support at support@acronis.com.

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.