Acronis Disk Director Suite alternative

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by rendez2k, Jan 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rendez2k

rendez2k Registered Member

Whats the best alternative Acronis Disk Director Suite these days? I had to remove snapman.sys to get ShadowProtect to work and so ADD no longer works....

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I use Paragon Hard Disk Manager but if you just need the partitioning tools, get Paragon Partition Manager.

3. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I use DD but I run it from the boot disk you can create from inside of it. I made a ShadowProtect image (I make mine from the SP restore environment CD), loaded DD, made the boot disk, tested it and then restored back from the image I made before DD. (Actually, both SP and DD are not installed on my PC. I don't like anything more on my PC than what I have to have... ;) )

4. rendez2k

WSFuser: Is the basic 2008 Suite you use or the pro version?

HAN: Thats a good idea as I've already made my boot disc. I wasn't sure if it needed DD installed on the machine to use it.

5. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Here me too,imaging from recovery environment with SP is fast enough. Afterall its a tool for restore what's needed once in a while,perhaps you never need to restore but its a comforting thought that if ever bad strike you,you can revert.

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

2008 Suite.

7. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Yes, it runs just peachy from the boot disk. IMO, it could possibly run better than a normal installation as nothing else is running in the background with it...

8. rendez2k

Just booted into the Shadow Protect CD and it appears it has a basic partition manger built in?

9. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Pete can answer better than me but I think the partitioning tools in SP are not full fledged tools. I'm thinking they are too basic for what many of us might want/need...

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

It does have a partition editor built in, but unless you know what you are doing, leave it alone.

What I did to solve the problem, is imaged my system, installed Acronis Disk Director, incorporated DD10 into my Bartpe disk, and restored my image - defacto uninstall of DD. Now when I occasionally need it I run it from Bart. Works great that way, and no conflicts.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.