Acronis Disk Director Suite 9.0

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by Peter Th, Feb 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter Th

Peter Th Guest

According to user guide it should be possible to install 2 different op systems in the same partition. However, on in the user guide Ch 8. it sais "Before you start installing another Windows copy, you will have to prepare a free primary partition for it." . How do I install 2 different op systems in the same partition?
    RGDS
    Peter

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Peter,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Director Suite (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/diskdirector/).

Yes, it is possible to install the second operational system to the same partition. In this case you don't need to prepare free partition. When you install the second OS you will need to choose another folder for it so that files of different operational systems do not mix.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. Peter Th

Peter Th Guest

I am using windows XP but would like to install Windows 98 in the same partition.
    Your advice is to install it in a new folder, however Windows 98 installs automatically in a folder called windows i the root directory, how do I get around that to install w98 i a new folder?

Rgds
    Peter

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Peter,

In this case you may install Windows XP to another folder. Please note that you need to have FAT32 partition for Windows 98 to work properly.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. Peter Th

Peter Th Guest

Thank you for reply, although you did not answear my question. As I wrote I have XP installed, and would like to install windows 98 on the same partition. What you say is that is not possible. Actually you indicate that I have to install XP into a new folder. I.e. I have to start with windows 98 on a fat 32 partition. Then add xp etc.

I understand I was naive buying this program. Although it claims to be independent of the the order you install op system, it does that only provided that etc. It probaly works fine if you understand all the contrains in deept between the different op systems. For a naive non expert user like me beliving that it could do things it claims it can just by pressing some buttons, it's a waste of money and time.

I should have known better. Sorry for troubling you.

Best rgds
    Peter

6. blueznl

blueznl Registered Member

pfew, this product does attract the 'we are so negative' crowd... anyway, multiple os'es on the same partition is a bad idea, if you want to do it, go the multiboot way

http://www.xs4all.nl/~bluez/datatalk/multiboo.htm#top

i haven't tried this approach yet with acronis ti / disk director suite, just upgraded this machine, but in a few weeks i'll try it on one of the other machines

all ms os'es have certain 'quirks' that make installing multiple of them an interesting process...

but... if you try that on sata drives you're sometimes out of luck, that doesn't always work

re. os selector: it looks SO sexy, but the strange 'counting down / default boot' window spoils it all! please acronis, make it a counter in a corner with, not this ugly box thing...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.