Acronis Crash's the computer

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by brucedelta, Oct 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brucedelta

brucedelta Registered Member

I set a freind up with Acronis workstation 9.1 about a year ago, and he runs a backup manually to a external USB drive every fri. night. All was working fine, until he moved offices last month.
    At the time of the move he decided he wanted more frequent backup of his database so I set mozy up for him to backup some data files.

Now it seems that Acronis just hangs up during a backup. The monitor goes blank and the computer is dead until a hard reset is done.
    I have tried disabling mozy (including stop the service) and TI still crashes.
    He backs up 2 partitions ( C & D ) drive. Since it always happened on the D backup I thought maybe that it had a problem with the data there. But I tried backing up C only and it crashes there also. I suspect it crashes near the end since it seems to always get past 5 minutes remaining and then it is dead.
    There is no data in the Acronis log or the MS event log.

I just upgradded to the new build and will try that.

Any thoughts appreciated.
    -- Bruce

2. brucedelta

I upgraded to the latest version of Acronis with no better results.
    Any ideas appreciated.
    -- Bruce

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Since the machine has been moved, I'd start with a basic hardware check.

Run chkdsk X: /r on ALL the partitions of the internal drives. Substitute the drive letter of the partition being tested for X. Reboot likely required for C.

Try making an image of C on D, ie, leave the USB drive out of the picture. If this works then you may have a USB drive problem.

Run chkdsk X: /r on ALL the USB drive partitions. Substitute the drive letter of the partition being tested for X.

Check the RAM. Download Memtest86+ V1.7 from www.memtest.org . Let it run for at least a couple of hours. Overnight is better.

Open the case and reseat all the disk cables.

Check the power supply voltages. Your machine may display them in BIOS, if not, get a voltmeter.

4. brucedelta

Hardware seems fine.
    If I try to backup just c or just d the same thing happens.

I suspect there is some issue with both tools using VSS or similar, I just do not know what.
    -- Bruce

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Could be.
    Can you restore an "old" image of C which would have no traces of your mozy installation and see if this runs properly?

Have you tried just running the TI boot CD and seeing if it will create and validate an archive? This would take the whole Windows software software out of the picture and would be imaging a static disk.

6. brucedelta

Did do that, so I am sure the hardware is fine and the problem is windows. I guess the next step is to re-install TI and see if that helps.
    I was just hopping for a definitive answer on the mozy compatibility.
    -- Bruce

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup software

We'd like to inform you that we haven't received any compatibility complaints for Acronis True Image concerning Mozy Backup software.

However, if any issues with Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation occur after installing Mozy Backup, please do the following:

- please make a screen shot of the Device Tree application the way described in this previous post;

- collect Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

- submit a request for technical support with the attached reports and the link to this thread. We will do our best to help you as soon as possible.

Thank you

--
    Eugene Bogdanov

8. VijghenPh

VijghenPh Registered Member

I just saw that post where an incompatibility between Mozy and Acronis was suspected. :doubt:

Combining an online backup of my documents with the Acronis image of the system drives seems a good combination to me.

Howerver, although no incompatibility has been formaly established so far, I would definitely like to have a formal confirmation of a comaptibility before proceeding. Anyone experienced successfuly the combination ?

9. memoooo

memoooo Registered Member

i had the same problem
    i have 80GB western digital HardDisk and an external seagate 750GB
    i partition the 80GB with acronis and put NTFS file system and i download the windows in it after that my PC keep crashing randomly (hard disk stopping) i thought it was because RAM or some registry or driver problem but after many tests it was the acronis program
    i do the same thing in my brother PC and eventually his PC keep crashing
    the 80GB i used to put my windows xp in it and i didn't have a problem with it until the day i used acronis program, to fix the problem use partion magic it's far better than acronis
    i register to say to you this,....
    KEEP AWAY FROM ACRONIS ~Removed inappropriate language - Ron~

by the way i used the lastest acronis program and the retail one i lost 19$ on this ~Off topic comment removed. - Ron~

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2008
  10. VijghenPh

VijghenPh Registered Member

Actually, I am personnaly very happy with it (at least with version 10).

I was just trying to figure out whether the problem hereby reported was due to a combination of having both Mozy and IT installed...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.