Acronis clone takes too long time

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Heinz Schorn, Oct 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heinz Schorn

Heinz Schorn Registered Member

Hello everybody
    My problem:
    I have a single computer: XP Prof - 2 Ghz – 120 GB HD. The time to clone 12 GB takes only 8 minutes.
    I have another computer: XP Prof - 3 Ghz -200 GB HD as a server in a network with 5 clients. The time to clone the HD of the server filled with 22 GB datas takes 90 minutes. This is much too long.
    According to this the time to make differential backups is as long as the time for cloning. There must be something I do wrong.
    Please excuse my bad English.
    I would be very happy if someone could help me.
    Heinz

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Heinz Schorn,

Could you please provide us with additional information regarding this issue? Please specify what version and edition of Acronis software you are using, clarify if you are using cloning or creating images of your computers; target media for imaging/cloning (external hard drive, network, internal hard drive etc). Please also clarify if you are performing this operation within Windows environment or using Acronis Bootable Rescue Media.

Thank you.

--
    Michael Levchenko

3. Heinz Schorn

Hello Michael Levchenko,
    As described I tested two computers. The first is a standalone PC and the second is a PC as a server in a home-network. In both computers I tried acronis true image 9.0 (build 2.311). Both computers have two internal hard disks. The first standalone PC has ATA HDs and the second server PC has S-ATA HDs but this can not be the reason of my problem.
    From the second server PC I need backups daily. So I bought at first Norton Ghost with which I had complications with the restore process. Then I bought Acronis True Image and both processes full backup with differential backup as well as the clone process worked nearly perfect. The only problem is the long time to make backups or to clone the server HD.with a content of 22 GB data. As a target I use the second internal HD.
    There follows the copy of the backups to DVDs for external storage but this is not of interest for my problem.
    The full backup takes 110 Minutes.
    The differential backup takes 50 Minutes although there is a change of only one GBs.
    The clone process takes 90 Minutes.
    The backup results are absolutely useable for restore and the cloned HD is useable as a new server HD. So it works well accept the long time of the processes.
    When I do the same with my standalone PC all works much quicker.
    Maybe I have to boot the server with an acronis boot cd before starting the backup or the clone process?
    I have not tried jet because I have not thought the reason could be the configuration as a server.
    Thank you for your help.
    Best wishes.
    Heinz Schorn

4. como

como Registered Member

Assuming this is TI Home Acronis support will tell you to first download and install the latest build of TI 9 either 3677 or 3854 and try backing up again, some of the earlier builds (can't remember which) had problems.

After checking it appears that you do not have TI Home, but check with the website to see if there is a later build than the one you are using, it may solve your problem

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  5. Acronis Support

Hello Heinz Schorn,

como is right - at the very first step you should update the software to the latest build and check if the issue is fixed. Please note that older version of Acronis True Image (like your Acronis True Image 9.0 Home) can encounter compatibility issues with the recent hardware.

If you've downloaded and installed the latest build but the issue is still exist then could you please download and install latest Acronis Drivers?

Could you please also create new Acronis Bootable Rescue Media, boot your computers up with this media and try to perform the backup/cloning operations?

Thank you.

--
    Michael Levchenko

6. Heinz Schorn

Hello Michael Levchenko,

Yesterday I followed the upgrade procedure on the acronis website to get TI Home 11 on my XP-server computer.
    I paid about 29 € via e-banking and got the file TrueImage11_s_de to download and the installation key.
    The installation process looked at first normally but stopped short befor the end of the installation with the information that the program could not be completely installed.
    A test after stopping Norton antivirus was again not successful.

With the same downloaded file I tried the upgrade on my standalone xp-computer with the same ATI 9 and there it was successful.

I do not like to reinstall acronis TI 9 because I use it daily for backup.
    Is there something which can obstruct the upgrade in my server-pc?

I am looking foreward to getting help from you.
    Heinz

7. Heinz Schorn

Michael, hello again,

Please wait with your answer.
    I found some possible circumstances which could prevent the upgrade to TI 11.
    I will check it at first and give you repot.

Thank You
    Heinz

8. Acronis Support

Hello Heinz Schorn,

If you will not be able to locate the reason of this issue by yourself then could you please do the following:

1. Launch the product installation file
    2. Once the Acronis product installation screen appears, right-click on the name of the component that fails to install. You should see two options there: Install and Extract. Select Extract
    3. Select the path for extracting the component and click Save
    4. Go to the Run prompt (Start -> Run) and issue the following command: msiexec /i path&msi-name /l*v log-name.log, where the path&msi-name is a path and name of the file you extracted in steps 2-3 and the log-name is a name of the log file to be generated. The log file will be saved to the folder where you extracted the MSI file.
    For example: msiexec /i D:\AcronisFolder\AcronisTrueImage /l*v log-name.log
    5.Reproduce the issue and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.

9. Heinz Schorn

Hello,
    My problems have been solved!

1. Upgrade to ATI 11
    As mentioned before, the upgrade to ATI 11 on my standalone computer went without problems.
    On my server the upgrade was possible after uninstall of version 9.

2. Time for cloning
    When I clone the server HD starting Acronis 11 within Windows environment it takes 90 minutes for only 22 GB data.
    Using Acronis Bootable Rescue CD it takes only 6 minutes.

Now I make backups with 5 external HDs in a second mobile rack. The server HD is positioned in the first mobile rack. From Monday to Friday I change the HDs.
    If there are any problems I simple use the last clone HD as a new server HD in the first rack. It is very simple, it is now quick and it works.

Thanks to all of you for your help.
    Heinz

10. Acronis Support

Hello Heinz Schorn,

We're glad that the issue was solved.

If you have any further questions concerning our software, please submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will do our best to help you as soon as possible.

Thank you.

--
    Michael Levchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.