Acronis Bootloader (MacBook Pro)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by webafrica, Jun 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webafrica

webafrica Registered Member

We are trying to run the Acronis Bootloader on a MacBook Pro.

It seems to load in fine, but we cant navigate. Almost as if the drivers aren't being loaded correctly? Ive tried plugging in various USB keyboards and mice but nothing seems to help.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello webafrica,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We regret to inform you that Acronis True Image does not support Mac OS. It will be probably supported in the future versions of the software. I'm sorry, but the exact time-frame for that is not decided yet.

Please acccept our apologies for the inconvenience.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

3. webafrica

Thanks for your response.

I am not trying to install TrueImage on my MAC OS I am in fact trying to just boot off the boot loader cd. I have already installed Windows on my MAC along with TrueImage.

I am running a Mac Book Pro - which has an intel chip and should be perfectly capable of booting off the boot loader CD.

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

The TI rescue CD is a version of Linux and obviously doesn't support the configuration. I hope you don't think that using an Intel chip makes the architecture the same as a PC.

5. webafrica

Uhm... Obviously.

The bootloader does work 100% though it seems to not be picking up the keyboard or a normal USB keyboard/mouse?

6. Acronis Support

Hello webafrica,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

I'm afraid that Acronis True Image has not been tested on your configuration yet and we don't guarantee that the program can work on it.

If you want us to change the behaviour of Acronis True Image in any way or add some new features to this product, please feel free to post any of your suggestions in Acronis True Image WISH-LIST thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

7. Acronis Support

Hello webafrica,

I confirm what Tatyana said. The point is that we have not tested Acronis True Image on Intel Macs and therefore cannot guarantee that it will function properly on this sort of computers. However, you can try the following tips\workaraunds as they may solve the problem you ecnounter:

- Make sure that your Bootable Rescue CD is created using the latest build (3633) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home which is available in the Product Updates section of your account at Acronis web site. You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window. To get access to updates you should create an account then log in and use your serial number to register the software.

- Try disabling 'USB Legacy\Keyboard support' option (if any) in your computer BIOS settings;

- Try booting with "usbmouse=off" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post (use "usbmouse=off" instead of "acpi=off noapic");

- Use Acronis True Image plug-in for BartPE allowing you to boot into a Windows-like environment from a CD.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

8. webafrica

Thanks for the thorough responses. I'll give some of those a shot and see what happens.

9. dartrax

dartrax Registered Member

Hello,
    just for the case somebody else is searching for a solution:

Using the Acronis PlugIn for BartPE works perfectly on the Apple Macbook Pro :) And it's very easy to build a BartPE-CD, if you have purchased Acronis TrueImage 8 or 9 and have a Windows XP CD.

(@Acronis Support: The first two suggestions doesn't work:
    A Macbook Pro has no BIOS, it has EFI.
    You need a keyboard input for the usbmouse=off-Setting but the problem was that keyboard and mouse inputs do not work)

dartrax

10. buhusky

buhusky Registered Member

Hello,

I have created a working BartPE disk with TrueImage but it doesn't see the destination partitions correctly.

I have a MacBook with bootcamp. I'm running both mac and windows. When I load trueimage, and go to recovery it lets me select my backup image but when it asks what partition to restore to, the windows partition is not available. The funny thing is that I can see the partition and the windows files and folders when it asks me to select my backup image but it doesn't see it one or two screens later when it asks for the destination partition/disk. Does anyone know why this is happening?

11. dartrax

dartrax Registered Member

Hello,
    that's a known problem. Since many people doesn't have it you have good chances to solve that problem.

It's nearly half a year since I had the joy to play with these partitioning things, so I can't remember the details. I would like to recommend this thread on a mac-board to you where others had this trouble also, but the board is in german (like me). Some webtranslator may help.
    http://www.macuser.de/forum/showthread.php?t=181869&page=2#22

The thing is that Mac and Windows use different formats to store the information about the partitions on a drive. Mac uses something called "GUID Table" (or so), Window the MBR (Master Boot Record). Well, of course, Acronis doesn't know the GUID Table. It may be, that if there are some differences between the MBR and the GUID Table, Acronis runs in troubles with the partitions. These differences are created when you partition the HD with any Windowsprogram (which doesn't update the GUID Table which may damage your Mac OS) or with Mac that hasn't the firmware-Update needed for BootCamp (because the firmware update adds MBR support to the Mac).
    May be that's the reason - may be it's not.

There is a program that enables you to determind if your MBR and GUID Tables are synchronized. It's the bootmanager rEFIt (you find it on sourceforge).

Since i never had this problem (and i'm using three partitions - more than bootcamp allows) it should be no problem to reformat and reinstall the whole thing - as worst-case-solution.

I hope I could help,
    dartrax

12. TitanusPT

TitanusPT Registered Member

Hi

I have a macbook Core 2 Duo since december. I had some kernel panic problems recently and I had to reinstall everything from scratch. I had boot camp installed, so I had 1 partition for OSX, and another for XP SP2.

I used netrestore to make an OSX image backup, which I have used and worked. I did the same for XP SP2 partition, and used Acronis 8.0 Plugin on BartPE CD.

The problem is that the acronis restore doesn't work, I get some "hal.dll missing" error when XP starts booting. I think it must be an EFI/MBR problem...

I tryied everything I could think off, to make the Acronis Image restore work, but for now I can only have a working XP boot partition, if I format and install it from a XP original CD!

Dartrax, if you could give some tips on what I can do so that the Acronis Image partition restore is bootable, I would be very thankfull!

I tried the link you posted from macuser.de forum, but even with babelfish translation it's very difficultt to understand.

Thanx for your time

TitanusPT

13. dave_xse

dave_xse Registered Member

I ran into the same problem:

"I have a MacBook with bootcamp. I'm running both mac and windows. When I load trueimage, and go to recovery it lets me select my backup image but when it asks what partition to restore to, the windows partition is not available. The funny thing is that I can see the partition and the windows files and folders when it asks me to select my backup image but it doesn't see it one or two screens later when it asks for the destination partition/disk."

I had this happening when I use the Acronis Recovery CD, however using BartPE and the Acronis Plugin (Acronis v8 ), it correctly detected the destination partition and I could reinstall the backup to the windows partition. However after reboot the windows partition did create a "hal.dll" error (although the file was correctly restored (i checked with BartPE file explorer), I checked the MBR/GUID sync using rEFIt and it said out of sync, I did resync and this time it says that the windows installation is corrupt.

I'm trying again to restore the Acronis image using different settings ( I did restore as primary partition and think that was a mistake) and try to change the boot.ini file.

14. dave_xse

Just did another restore and it's still not working.

I did recreate a single partition using Bootcamp and created a new Windows partition. At reboot rEFIt shows that both partitions are in sync. I noticed after Acronis restore that Acronis is changing the MBR table and therefore the two are no longer in sync. That's probably causing the problem but no clue on how to fix this (rEFIt suggests to update the MBR based on the GUID, but I tried that before and it didn't work).

15. dave_xse

Ok got it to work now.

As I said it doesn't work if you try to restore the Windows partition using Acronis version 8 (maybe with another version of Acronis?) as it changes the MBR which will no longer be in sync with the EFI system. So I decided to recreate the Windows partition using bootcamp, restarted and started windows install to the partition creation included. Instead of installing the windows files, I restarted and booted using a BART live CD containing Total Commander. The latest Acronis backup I had previously extracted to my external HD so I only had to copy the files from the external HD to the PC HD Windows partition and after reboot the system worked just as before. Damn thing took me close to 5 days to solve.

16. Sal_0001

Sal_0001 Registered Member

I was able to restore by just removing the HDD from my macbook and using another PC to restore the image onto the HDD using the True Image boot CD.
    I simply placed the HDD back into my Macbook and it worked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.