Acronis Boot CD with UR (workstation 9.1)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by GottaRegisterDang, Jul 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GottaRegisterDang

GottaRegisterDang Registered Member

I'm moving from a old laptop to a new laptop (different hardware including single core to dual core CPU upgrade)

I'v got the latest version of UR and Workstation 9.1 and have created a boot CD

The original laptop has been backed up to an external USB HD without issue (other than it taking like 5 hours)

The issue I have is when restoring the image to the new machine, is no Universal Restore option is available during recovery

I don't believe the disk has been converted to Dynamic (whats the best way to 100% confirm this? The windows Disk administrator in computer management?)

Has anyone had this issue, and figured out a way to get UR active?

Thanks

Paul

2. GottaRegisterDang

Update: Have confirmed that the disk are both basic (and not dynamic)

3. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

If you cannot get the UR to show up, try this workaround:
    On the old laptop, change the display type to standard vga, then make the backup. Now do a restore to the new laptop. If it boots, it will boot with the standard vga display and you then have to install the driver for the video card in the new laptop. Plus you will have to install drivers for any other devices that Windows doesn't have the driver for.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2007
  4. GottaRegisterDang

Hi

Unforchantly, the old laptop is at work :-(

Dont personally think that changing to VGA before the image would help (But I think that booting the original image on the new laptop in VGA mode may test this theory. I'll give it a spin)

I'm 90% sure that the issue is with either the hard drive controller or is a HAL related issue (single to multi cpu, pic/apic, acpi, etc..) This sort of thing is the reason why I have purchased this product

As a test, I've attempted to restore the factory image (which I backed up before proceeding), The Universal restore is an avaiable option; so I'm sure that I'm using the correct TrueImage with the Univeral install actually included.

I also tried to restore the same image from within windows to see if it was a boot image related issue.

I'm guessing that that acronics is checking for certain things in the image (version, location of files, etc) and if any of the checks fail, then no Universal restore..

It'd be nice if details of why Universal restore isn't available; but this seems to be the norm with acronis developement

Thanks for the reply though

Paul

5. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Paul,

This has been a known problem with Workstation for over 4 months. Acronis has refused to supply any information in this forum on ways that this might be fixed. All they do is reply with boilerplate asking for files.

I even sent them a ticket regarding this problem along with several files that they requested which took 2 hours to produce. Waited 30 days for a response, asked them for an answer and received another boilerplate email requesting more files. This is with a paid Maintenance Contract. These people are terrible and have very poor support and do not seem to care about their customers.

I got UR to show up by using build 3633 instead of 3887.

I would be interested in hearing about your results in using the standard vga workaround as suggested by DwnNdrty.

Silver

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello GottaRegisterDang,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Workstation Disk Backup Software.

We are still working on this problem along with the Development Team and will do our best in order to provide you with the fix as soon as possible. We highly appreciate your patience. Please accept our profound apologies for the delay.

Currently, could you please follow the instruction provided in this previous post to collect the information that would allow us to investigate the issue and create the ISO image of the appropriate version of Acronis True Image with Acronis Universal Restore, which will work on your particular system?

Please note that the link to the ISO image can not be posted on the Forum since it will violate Acronis End-User License Agreement.

Thank you.
    --
    Michael Fedyulin

7. silver0066

GottaRegisterDang,

This is the boilerplate I was referring to. I had a Paid Maintenance Contract and went through all of the instructions that they asked for. It took me over 2 hours to gather the information and I received nothing back from them.

If you have 2 hours to waste, go ahead and take a chance, but in my opinion, this is a stalling tactic by Acronis to keep you busy while they do nothing. They have had over 6 months to fix this problem and have done nada.

Silver

8. GottaRegisterDang

Hi silver0066

I did get Universal Restore to eventually come up (kept rebooting, and trying different options such as full drive restore, partition restore, mixed partition restore, etc. Couldn't tell you what caused it to work, other than it sometimes did come up) and after 6 hours.. Rebooted and blue screen (didn't work)

I was killing my self trying to take the easy route (which was actually the harder route. :)

So I just did what I should of done originally:

1) Back up original laptop in USB encolure on faster machine
    2) Prepped Original machine with New machine Sata Drivers and removed original laptop related software, then did an incremental backup to catch the changes.
    3) Pulled new sata drive out of laptop and put in USB sata enclosure
    4) Restored prepped image to sata usb enclosure (10 times as fast as if using the acronis boot CD)
    5) Put new drive into new laptop
    6) booted, removed all non required devices
    7) Booted into safe mode did hal and kernal patch to multi cpu hal
    :cool: Rebooted, Installed all required device drivers
    9) Apply Windows patch for Multi CPU performance issue (at least thats how I interperted it) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896256
    10) Tested and reinstalled any issued applications
    11) Backed the whole new machine fully setup

As per the support, I can't blame them. So many different hardware combinations out there.. So many things that could cause issues. I'd do the same with respect to the universal restore.. If something don't look right, then no universal restore available. I thinking that my issue is relating to the Partition structure on the source drive (which was manually migrated from another laptop maybe 2 years back). I've sent another email telling them what I did and asking whay they like me to do (non destructive) which will aid them in making the product better.

On the whole, they usually try to respond to me :)

As per Universal Restore. I have gotten Universal restore to work one on my test machine at home where I upgraded a AMD Duron 700 to a AMD x2 4200 using the Universal restore with 100% success (so I know it does work, although the SUpport did have to provide a updated boot CD with a later ISO linux which supported the AMD/Ati chipset)

I'm thinking that they should rename the product (at least until its more solid) as Universal Maybe Restore ;-)

On the whole, acronis True image is a love hate relationship. When it works, it works very well; but there are hickups, and features missing which leave me stressed out (I've worked around most of the limitations through cmd scripts, and mini vb apps)

Paul

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  9. silver0066

Hi GottaRegisterDang,

Seems like a lot of work that you had to do to get your new system up and running. You were ripped off by Acronis in that you had to pay for UR, which does not work. The thing that gets me is that Universal Restore build 3633 works 100% of the time for me and build 3887 does not. Acronis keeps blaming it on the hardware, but obviously, the problem is in their software. It should be easily tracked down by them as only they know the differences between the two builds.

I have a hate relationship with this company because of the way I was ignored by customer support after spending many hours getting them the files they wanted without getting any response.

I am waiting for StorageCraft to get out v3 of ShadowProtect with HIR and then I will be rid of Acronis forever.

Silver

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello silver0066,

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Could you please send us Private Message containing your e-mail address which you have created your request from to Acronis Technical Support? We will take measures to our technician who allowed such inexcusable omission.

We are really sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you.
    --
    Michael Fedyulin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.