Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Workstation

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by tadejc83, Jul 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tadejc83

tadejc83 Registered Member

Hi.

Im trying to install Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Workstation on my PC, but I get this error during installation:

If there is a need for it, I can attach whole install log...

2. jmackay

jmackay Registered Member

Same here. I will report this to Acronis since I have (supposedly) "Acronis Advantage Premier" support but I've so far found them to be pretty unresponsive on other issues so I'm not getting my hopes up..... I will post my results here if I find out a fix.

I believe that's an error during rollback...in other words, the actual error that caused the failure occurred prior to this error. In my log it looks like it's setting some binary password value in the registry:

1: MSIGEN:SubstUser: SavePassword: err = 0xbe000c, text = 'Error occurred while writing binary registry value.', winError = 0x0
    MSI (s) (2C!BC) [16:02:12:132]: Closing MSIHANDLE (61901) of type 790531 for thread 2236
    MSI (s) (2C:20) [16:02:12:132]: Closing MSIHANDLE (61870) of type 790536 for thread 2220
    1: MSIGEN:Failed to create subst user credentials.
    MSI (s) (2C:AC) [16:02:12:222]: User policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
    MSI (s) (2C:AC) [16:02:12:222]: Machine policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
    Action ended 16:02:12: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.

This is for the administrator account that I specified during setup.

3. jmackay

Did you take a look at this? Seems you might need to specify an administrator password for the agent rather than accepting the default (create new account). I have not yet verified whether or not this fixes the issue. This says it applies to XP Home. I'm using XP Professional. Not sure which version you are using. Still, worth a try.

http://kb.acronis.com/content/2955

4. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse Registered Member

Are you trying to install on Windows 7 RC?

I was getting the same error when installing Backup and Recovery 10 Advanced Workstation under Windows 7 RC x64.

I was able to use the full installer to successfully install the licensing server, Media Builder, and WinPE ISO builder.

For some reason or another the full installer will not install Agent (I don't know about Upgrade Tool, Management Console, etc since it always failed at Agent). I tried letting it make the account and I also created an AcronisAgent account with the required permissions (from install guide). I also tried giving the AcronsAgent account admin rights...still failed the full installer install.

What worked for me was extracting the individual msi installers from the full installer (it's the second option when launching the full installer). Using the msi installers I was able to install everything successfully.

I noticed there were extra UAC prompts that came up when using the msi installers that were not popping up when using the full installer, maybe that's the reason the full installer is failing but the single msi installers work?

I hope this info helps,
    SomeoneElse

5. jmackay

Nope, not Windows 7. XP Professional. I actually got the agent to install by selecting "Change..." for "Acronis Managed Machine Service Credentials" and specifying an already-created admininstrator account. So, this seems to have fixed my problem, even though their KB faq (mentioned in my previous post) states it only applies to the "Home" edition of XP.

6. tomtexas

tomtexas Registered Member

I was trying to use B & R 10 today and what I really wanted was to clone my Thinkpad T43 drive. I was hoping something better than Ghost but.. so far no... I finally found how to kick the clone off but the clone fails on two different drives exactly the same way and doesn't give much info on why or what to do. Should one do a LL format, checkdisk, or format on the target before doing the clone? Right now, it's a 160 gb disk, with a 120 gb main partition, a 30 gb partition and the IBM recovery/diag partition. The clone starts but gives an error message saying it can't complete. Ideas? My take on 10 so far is that the UI needs work. Finding the clone funtion was not obvious. Tom

7. rimmer

rimmer Registered Member

I think the agent errors is caused by not selecting 'Install for All Users' when installing.

Fails when installing for current user only. Only tested on Windows 7 RC and 15 day Trial.

Also upon reboots and when first accessing the mangement console a UAC prompt
    for 'elevated_app.exe' always 'pops-up'

8. BrianSNJ

BrianSNJ Registered Member

NOPE. It does not seem to matter. I have a test lab of various machines, XP, Vista and 7. This has been nothing but a hair pulling, teeth gnashing experience. I have dozens of clients that are still running TI 9.7 Workstation and I am going to make sure they do NOT upgrade or change a thing!

9. jmackay

Sorry you're having such a tough time Brian. I started with a freshly installed machine with no Acronis software so I was *not* upgrading from True Image 9 but rather starting fresh with 10. With a combination of installing for *All* users AND selecting an already existing administrator account for "Acronis Managed Machine Service Credentials", I was able to get this to work on XP Professional. Good luck if you decide to try again.

10. BrianSNJ

BrianSNJ Registered Member

Oh I have been successful under some circumstances...but this is sooooooooooooo hit or miss that it is insane. I know in time it will get better, it just always feels like Acronis is throwing Beta at us. I could kick myself for upgrading so quickly. I normally always wait at least 3 months before getting new product, that way most of the bugs and headaches have been resolved.
    :rolleyes:

11. rgoeldner

rgoeldner Registered Member

Hi folks!

I got the same error when i started the installation logged on as normal user with Win7 RC (build 7100). UAC is enabled - the installation itself will be executed with the domain administrator account.

I made an Update of TI 9.7 but it failed with the same error messages mentioned in the first post.

An interesting, additional aspect in the overall behavior is that the licensing server could not be connected for a second try until you reboot the machine or repair the licensing server installation. It seems only machines with an local installed license server are affected.

I'll now post the results when the installation is made with the local adminstrator and the domain administrator account.

Does anyone from the official crew take a look on this forum?

Good look everybody with B&R 10 ...

Ralf

12. MattKarlWhite

MattKarlWhite Registered Member

Hello all,
    I'm having the same problem as tadejc83. I can install all components except Agent. It comes up with the same error and then performs rollback.
    On 23 July I sent a post to Acronis support with a log file, but apart from an automated response, I have received no reply.
    Another question I sent to them on 17 July was answered on 31 July. The reason for the delay was explained thus: "This is not the level of service Acronis provides to its customers. I assure you that this is nothing but an aberration caused due to flailing (sic) Acronis server." Flailing sounds about the right word to me. If a company selling backup software can't maintain its own servers, then as small corporate customers we don't seem to have much hope.
    I agree with BrianSNJ that we seem to be the beta testers.
    This experience has been so upsetting that I will be asking for a refund.
    Regards,
    Matt
    4th Aug update: Acronis are now organising a refund after I replied unhappily to a Follow-Up of the first Case, and made a complaint to the Acronis Store website.
    The whole experience has been a huge waste of my time and effort.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.