acronis 9, and full backup of c:

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by aoz, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aoz

aoz Registered Member

to support, and all

I have an ENCRYPted hard drive.
    it is not possible (so far) to do an image backup using version 8, of my drive C:.

two quewstions
    will version 9 allow this (I just bought upgrade, and willl also test this)

BIGGER question -
    If I use the SELECTED FILES method, BUT select ALL files -
    will this truly back up ALL files, including system-state files, including registry files, such that if I then cloned a new unencrypted hard drive with this FULL-SELECTED-FILES backup, it would recover a full C: drive that is bootable, usable, workable?

If so, this would solve the problem of doing an image backup of the encrypted drive, and allow me to do a full backup and STILL be able to recover

thanks
    Nick

2. aoz

aoz Registered Member

Any feedback on this, as to how the file backup mechanism works, if a full file backup can act as a full restore, from an encrypted (or ANY ) drive?
    thanks
    Nick

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Nick,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that Acronis True Image 9.0 does not support imaging of the encrypted hard drives.

If you want us to change the behaviour of Acronis True Image in any way or add some new features to this product, please feel free to post any of your suggestions in Acronis True Image WISH-LIST thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

4. aoz

aoz Registered Member

dear support
    I realize that version 8 does not support this.

BUT, in version 9, you have mechanism to back up SELECTED files.
    Now, if that mechanism of SELECTED files (different from sector backup), will allow backup of ALL files (Including system state files, registry, etc), through windows mode, then that backup COULD be used to restore completely, an encrypted drive.

If, in your windows mode, you lock the files so that they are not "in use", and are able to be backed up, this possibly solves backup of encrypted drives.

That's the problem, currently, with some other backup program that i use, that does NOt allow backup of "system state" files (without their $200.00 enhanced version)

Please clarify how the "file backup" mechanism works, and how it works with "system state" files such as registry, other open files, etc; can it back them up reliably through the "windows" mode

thanks

AND, as addendum, development should look for some way to incorporate backup of encrypted drives, even if it is through the current file method, because in areas such as mine (medical records), encryption is becoming more important

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Nick,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Using a file-based backup option of Acronis True Image 9.0, you can back up all files including system files, registry and so on. Acronis True Image 9.0 does not lock any files, it creates an image of open ("in use") files without any problems.

We do not support the encrypted hard drives at this moment, however, we recommend you to try to use Acronis True Image 9.0 trial version at first in order to see how the program works on your computer.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

6. aoz

aoz Registered Member

Tatyana,
    thanks for reply.

1. TRIAL of ver.9 - I already BOUGHT full upgrade. I'm HAPPY with the program,version 8, and 7;

re: not working with encrypted drives -
    If your File/Folder method works, and it is able to do "system state" files, even if open, then it may SOLVE the encrypted drive backup problem.

I will test this out also.
    thanks
    Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.