Acronis 9.1 Home: Can't access drive/files

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by wthrman, May 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wthrman

wthrman Registered Member

I have just upgraded to Build No. 3567. In the previous build I was getting intermittent failed backup attempts due to the inability to create a snapshot. Now I get that, preceded by a message that the drive is in use and cannot be accessed. So the backup didn't even start. This was on selection of the backup drive option, as against specific files and folders. I then tried the other (files) option. The backup started, but was punctuated with a whole series of messages about individual files being in use. These files weren't related to other applications; they appeared to be Windows files (XP Pro).

I take it that the snapshot couldn't be made because the program was having trouble with these 'inaccessible files'.

As someone suggested in another thread, I resorted to backing up from a CD boot and that worked fine. It's all very well to do it from CD but that doesn't change the fact that at least for me, the program is not fully functional and scheduled backups from within Windows cannot be guaranteed to work. The main reason I switched from Norton Ghost was because of the latter's insistence in working from a bootable disk and the fact that it couldn't be scheduled.

Is there ever going to be a resolution of the snapshot/file-in-use issue, or have I overlooked something?

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

You probably have many items running in the background that do not need to. Of all the icons next to the time (lower right corner of the screen) if you have more than the Firewall, AntiVirus, AntiSpyware, and Network icons then you probably have more than necessary. Try turning off a few and see if you overcome the problem.

3. wthrman

Thanks for that. I have mostly had only anti-spyware and anti-virus porgrams running. The only other was Diskeeper which appears not to be causing any issues. However this time I disabled everything and it seems that by a process of elimination, Spyware Doctor is causing the problem..though I thought I had eliminated that before. The whole problem has been intermittent..makes things so much harder. Anyway looks like I have something to go by now.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello wthrman,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

If you would like us to investigate the issue then please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists then enable logging by running the Acronis drivers installation package once again, reproduce the problem and collect the c:\snapapi.log file.

Please also create Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post and submit a request for technical support. Attach the collected log file and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

5. wthrman

Thanks for your offer to help but I have been down this path once already without a satisfactory result. That included sending log files, hardware details and other information. In the end the issue was unable to be resolved and the message that came back from technical support was that I had a driver conflict. No suggestion was given as to what was conflicting with which but perhaps that couldn't be determined. If so, how could that conclusion (that there was a driver conflict) have been arrived at?

I did try the driver package you mentioned but, as previously, it made no difference. I have lost count of the number of times I've reinstalled the program.

As I think I mentioned in an earlier post, this is an intermittent problem. Sometimes I can backup without problems, yet have it fall over on other occasions even though I haven't changed any background processes or for that matter any other operating factors. So it's just hit and miss. If it fails, I just try another time. It works perfectly when I boot into TI from the CD, but really that's not the way the program is meant to function. Prior to Version 8 I had no trouble. It's a shame that an otherwise excellent program starts to fall over when enhancements are made to it. At this point I am very disappointed with it.

6. Chutsman

Wthrman, you said: "It works perfectly when I boot into TI from the CD, ...". This shows that when Windows is running, something is running in the background that makes TI stumble. And it is most likely something with an icon in the Tray. Only you can eliminate them one by one until you get consistent results with TI.

7. wthrman

Chutsman,

Thank you for that..but if you read my previous posts, you will see that I have done that already. I also stated that it's an intermittent problem. I disagree that it's something running in the background as I have not been able to isolate it. It is NOT anything with an icon in the tray because I have the problem even when those programs aren't running. I don't appreciate the patronising comment contained in your last sentence either.

Last edited: May 15, 2006
  8. Chutsman

The saying is still true: "You can lead a horse to water but ... " :mad: :mad:

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello wthrman,

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that the most probable reason why you encounter this problem is that some third-party software is blocking the access to the hard drive. We therefore recommend that you try disabling or even temporary uninstalling any other software that requires an exclusive access to the hard drive, i.e. any other backup software, antivirus and antispyware applications, etc. Please try disabling Diskeeper at first, as it might cause problems.

If that does not help then please try updating the Acronis Drivers once more (the new version (build 283) has just been released and now available here).

If that does not help either then I'm afraid we need an additional information in order to proceed with the investigation on this issue:

- Enable logging by running the Acronis drivers installation package once again (see above), reproduce the problem and collect the c:\snapapi.log file;

- Create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

- Reproduce the problem and collect Acronis True Image log which can be saved from Tools -> Show Log -> Diskette icon;

- Make a screen shot or provide the exact text of the error message the you receive;

- Let us know when you receive this error message exactly.

Please also make a screen shot of the Device Tree application:

- Download and unpack the Device Tree application;

- Run the application;

- Completely unfold the \Driver\Disk and \Driver\FtDisk branches;

- Move the margin to the left in order to see all the items;

- Make a screen shot.

Then please submit a request for technical support. Provide the files and information collected in your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the most suitable solution as soon as possible.

If you have already contacted us via e-mail on this matter then please let us know your Acronis request # (e.g. [Acronis #123456]) which can be found in the subjects of the letters that you received from Acronis Support Team. We will look through the correspondence and see what more can be done regarding this issue.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.