Acronis 8 with new Quad processors?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by karad, Nov 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karad

karad Registered Member

My 3 and 1/2yold P4-HT-3400MHZ-100GygHD pc died.In it I ran from the start Acronis 8,which always performed so well I never felt the need to update. Countless images taken and countless restores without an itch,but I always kept it easy by only doing complete images everytime on external hard disks.

Now i am planning to buy a new pc with a Quad core processor and a larger Disk, 500Gygas to 1000Gygas perhaps.

I wouldnt think so, but I got to be sure before I move Acronis 8 to such a new disk: is there any technical obstacle to that kind of imaging for such an 'old' program?

2. Faust

Faust Registered Member

Can't speak for TI 8 but certainly version 10 & 11 were very poor at restores with my Quadcore HP PC - 17 hours for 60 gig. However, I cured that my making a VistaPE disk with restores down to 30 mins. I also dual boot and sometimes the dual boot got corrupted on restores. I have just upgraded to TI 2009 and on my new hardware it is the best TI to date -works flawlessly.

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

My guess is that it won't work in the recovery environment and if the new machine has Vista it won't install.

Before you try to install it, boot up the TI8 rescue CD and see if it recognizes an old archive and if it will validate it. If this works then it likely will be OK in (non-Vista) Windows.

If not, download and try the TI2009 trial.

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Your new machine is likely to be an all SATA drive system. TI 8 and 9 had poor support for SATA drives, so it's probably time to upgrade.

Only TI 10 and higher can be installed on Windows Vista which you may be moving to.

Test with the Rescue CD as already suggested to see if you can see your internal and external drives on the new machine. If not, you will have to upgrade.

5. karad

karad Registered Member

Thanks a lot to Faust,seekforever and jmk94903: I will try to keep XPPro in my next one, so-from what you expounded-there's a slight chance it might work.....but I fear I will have to say goodby to a glorious program.

I will try the test you suggest,though,before giving up for keeps.

I've used Acronis 11 for some time on a Vista Premium machine and,in spite of the increased functions-some completely useless from my point of view (i.e,Try and Decide)-I still preferred Versions 8&9. This because I had some bad moments restoring for the first time on that machine, an issue I never had with previous versions, but of course I was not using Vista...

@seekforever ,you helped me some time ago exactly when I was experiencing those difficulties with the Acronis11-Vista Premium compound and I somehow 'lost' the thread later,so was never able to tell you that I found out those problems were not entirely dependent on Acronis or Vista either, as most of the problems vanished when I performed a much needed BIOS upgrade on that notebook.

I still think that not always an update is an advantage,however.
    Thanks again,
    karad

6. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Glad you found the problem and thanks for the feedback.

I had a fairly new machine that the TI boot CD wouldn't load on and when I upgraded the BIOS for some other reason the boot CD worked too. I was never sure whether it was the BIOS update itself or the fact that I reset the BIOS to the default settings after updating that fixed the TI problem.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello karad ,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

We can’t guarantee that outdated version (Acronis True Image 8.0) will work with up-to-date hardware. Acronis True Image 8.0 also doesn’t support Windows Vista. The best solution in your case will be upgrade Acronis True Image 8.0 to current version Acronis True Image Home 2009 for $29.99 http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

8. karad

karad Registered Member

Thank you for your post.
    I will certainly take advantage of this option asap.
    Regards,
    karad

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.