Acronis 2009

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Maxwell 1, Feb 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maxwell 1

Maxwell 1 Registered Member

Purchased Acronis and have been trying to make a simple image of my hard drive to DVD disks. No luck, have made boot disk, no luck, apparently Acronis wants you to purchase an USB harddrive to download to. I have read all the frustrated questions that people want explanitions about, seems Acronis tend to say check for update, or call in, this is repeated over and over. From time to time they will put out several updates then lo and behold they come out with a new upgrade they want you to buy. So I downloaded Windows 7, after setting it up the way I wanted it, and added some new programs. Then proceeded to use their Imaging Program, worked like a charm installed to DVD's. made a boot disk then zeroed the hard drive to see if DVD's that I just made worked. Installed Windows 7 with no problem. So when Windows 7 is later released, I will purchase it and will no longer have a need for Acronis. The little guy cant get Acronis's attention but Microsoft will.

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

That's the first time I heard someone say they were going to rely on Micorosoft;)

Well, W7 i s only in beta, so MS hstill has plenty of time and opportunities to muck it up ;)

3. Maxwell 1

Well you maybe correct, but Acronis has had a number of years to get a good backup program, no luck so far, its nothing more than a money making machine who keep the customers hoping the next release is going to fix everything. But all that I want is a decent backup program that works, you may have time to figure out all the quirks and bugs, but I just dont have time to waste oh a half baked program like 2009.

4. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Maxwell, on that Win7 system, how many dvds did that backup require and in the restore process were the dvds called for in the order they were made? I'm asking because with True Image, if you make a backup that takes, say, 3 or more dvds, during the restore True Image calls for each dvd more than once and NOT in sequential order. Sometimes the same dvd is called for more than 3 times, so you sit there swapping the same discs in and out, in and out.

5. JeeperDon

JeeperDon Registered Member

Max was complaining about needing another HD to backup too. Though Acronis is not making that statement, it's not tough to see DVD backups was not the primary design point. If I was Acronis, I wouldn't make that ability a high flyer either. HDs are pretty cheap these days and they last a lot longer than the life span of a typical purchased program version, so are smart spent money.

Max, go ahead and buy that spare HD. It will work with whatever software you wish and make your life a lot easier.

6. Earthling

Earthling Registered Member

Maxwell:

Just got Windows 7 to a usable state and was intending testing the imaging system next. I understand though that you can only do full disk or partition backups and restores, so would not be able to restore selected files from an image, as you can with ATI, and that you can't schedule backup tasks - not within the program anyway.

But I do agree with so much of what you say about Acronis. Getting it working reliably can be a real pain, though having cleared that hurdle myself after much blood and tears I would be reluctant to adopt an alternative that lacked these features.

M$ is long overdue in offering users a decent backup facility, though whether the masses will realise it's there and make use of it is another question altogether.

7. Maxwell 1

DwnNdrty I had approximately 9 gb to backup, it compressed it to 1 Dvd, so I cant answer if it spans disk's or not.I would assume it can span.

Jeeperdon, Its not the cost of a hard drive. I have used Acronis 6 and 7 for anumber of years to backup to CD's and DVD's so I guess im just set in my ways as DVD's are so much easier to move around.

Earthlin, I didn;t try to backup files, but examining furthur it seems as you can backup all the files at a time, also videos, music etc. but not sure if it will backup a single file.

If others like 2009 thats fine, but so far there are too many problems in it for me.

8. JeeperDon

JeeperDon Registered Member

Actually, I can't say. I only bought TI2009 a couple weeks before getting Win7. It worked ok on Vistax64, where I made the TI2009 Recovery CD. After that 2 weeks, I went to Win7, 6 weeks now, and TI2009 won't install onto W7x64, though it installs fine on 32 bit W7.

I guess I just like the versatility of TI, any partition, any file, anywhere, anytime, and for my years of use (prior versions) it boots every time.

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Maxwell 1,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

It’s not necessary to upgrade your Acronis True Image program to the most up-to-date version, we can’t persuade you to do so, we may just recommend you that. You can also always download free updates for your program from your account on our web site from Registered Products section.

Officially none of the Acronis software supports Windows 7, so we can’t analyze or perform any diagnostic regarding this.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.