Acronis 2009 Home - High Disk activity at startup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Sluggy, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sluggy

Sluggy Registered Member

Since upgrading to Acronis True Image 2009 Home Edition from ver 11, the new version causes the machine to run extremely slowly when starting Acronis.

4 GB Ram on 3gig Dual Core - so not ram or machine performance issue and was ok on ver 11, does not stop if left either seems to be scanning all file systems or something like to that.

Anyone else getting this??

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Sluggy:

Welcome to the forum. I don't run the TI Home 2009 version, but I've heard that one of its new features is that it has the ability to search existing .tib files on the disk, so it needs to build a search index after installation. You can probably just leave it go for a while until it is finished building the index, and then the disk activity should go back to normal.

3. Sluggy

Sluggy Registered Member

Thanks,

Will let it sit for a few hours - I do have tib files on some of the drives so will see if this works.

4. Sluggy

Sluggy Registered Member

I ran filemon on the Acronis process and it seems to be performing a scan of all files, maybe scanning for the .tib files as per your post.

PROBLEM! This is still grinding the machine to a halt, and it seems to pick up from where it was before when you restart Acronis.

If you have directory structures with thousands of directories and files, then this scanning becomes a very unwanted feature fast.

One of the benefits of using TrueImage is that you can backup whole partitions instead of filebased backups ( or you would just use windows based backup ), getting around windows poor handling of deep directory structures.

The autoscan behavior is kind of unwanted, as it recreates the windows based problem.

Can this behaviour be turned off ?? if not then I think I'll go back to Acronis 11.

Sluggy

5. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

The Search function of TI Home 2009 is described in the User Guide (Warning! 4.4 MB pdf file) on pages 93 - 101. From a quick read it looks like you can specify whether the search engine will index .tib files or not. See page 99, for example.

6. Sluggy

Sluggy Registered Member

Great thanks for that,

Interestingly I have indexing turned off on all drives, maybe I need to turn on Acronis MS indexing and then unset the param on each drive.

Will have a dig around.

Thanks

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

Sluggy,

To resolve the issue please do the following:

Manually remove SnapAPI drivers as it is described here.

Please install SnapAPI380 update file available here, reboot the computer to complete the changes and see if the issue remains.

Please let us know the results.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.