Acronis 11: Extremely low performance on HP Proliant DL380 G5

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Nimral, Mar 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nimral

Nimral Registered Member

Hi all,

I am in the process of testing Acronis 11 to see wether this product may be a useful tool for server disaster recovery. The test server is a HP Proliant DL380 G5 with a 146 GB RAID-1 disk mirror. The disk has a 30GB NTFS system partition on it, with Windows 2003 server R2 as OS - but I guess this is irrelevant anyway, because I boot from the Acronis CD. The rest of the disk is not partitioned yet. I added another 72 GB single disk as backup target. The backup target disk is NTFS formatted. All disks are high performace SAS drives.

After booting the CD and entering Acronis 11 (full) all disks were displayed OK, I selected the 30GB system partition, selected Sector Copy, and selected the backup target disk as target drive for a .tib file.

The good news: a backup of the 30GB partition indeed was created, but it took 8 (!) hours to finish. The target file was around 7GB in size, which makes sense. More bad news: the restore claims it will take around 3 hours, and is currently still running, or better, crawling.

Using Norton/Symantec Ghost (booted via a DOS 7 boot disk) backup and restore of the same partition on the same system took 5 Minutes each.

I guess that there are severe compatibility issues with Acronis and this system. Things like this happen. What I do not understand: good old DOS Ghost does not have any special driver support at all (no ASPI driver or other special drivers loaded in config.sys) and makes a perfect, quick backup and restore.

I saw more complaints about performance issues like mine in this forum, but no solution.

What can I do to get Acronis to perform reasonably? The competition (Ghost) prooves that it is possible ... o_O

Thanks for clues,

AL.

2. supdeco1

supdeco1 Registered Member

Hi

I don't understand why you use acronis 11 with a server.

I version acronis true image enterprise server exist.

I use the version 9.1 (not the eccho) with prolian MLG5.

With some version of server (the first) i have a trouble when the tape drive or the DD is on usb. that's the a trouble with an usb2, and i have a bandwith like usb1. Backup with this is slow

With SCSI no problem, it's fast

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Have you tried Acronis TI 11 Safe? This is a DOS based version that is only useful when you don't have to backup to USB, Firewire or network drives. However, in your case, it should be appropriate.

You should also try the current product, True Image 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.