Acronis 10

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Jack772, Mar 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack772

Jack772 Registered Member

I have recently acquired Acronis 10 to use on my notebook.
    I am running Vista on it.
    In backing up I cannot place a check mark on the squares in the MY application and Settings.
    I can do this in My computer and My data and My e-mail.
    but not My Apps and Settings. Why?
    It does the same thing on my other computer that runs XP.
    Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jack

2. CatFan432

CatFan432 Registered Member

Jack,
    My sketchy understanding of the My Application Settings feature in TI 10 is that if you have one of the programs Acronis has listed, with the version of the program Acronis has listed, with the files and perhaps registry entries in the locations Acronis expects to find them, then the square for that program will be outlined and you can check it. If you don’t have the program or correct version or something else doesn’t match, the square cannot be checked. Acronis has stated in this forum that they will be adding to the list, although they haven’t yet in two subsequent builds since the TI 10 release.

This is just my opinion, and I’m very willing to be contradicted, but I see no reason to use or even trust this feature, you’re much better off with a partition image or locating the files yourself that you want to backup and creating a backup for those. If you’re interested, the default location of the script files for the programs currently listed is C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\BackupScripts.

Regards, CatFan

3. Jack772

Jack772 Registered Member

I downloaded build 4942 and it still doesn't allow me to use
    My Applications, Settings.
    Jack

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I would be very interested in hearing why this "feature" is a bright idea?

If you are making images of C just what does it offer that the image doesn't? If you are backing up the various settings without an image and the drive dies, what use is the settings backup?

5. CatFan432

seekforever,
    Clearly I didn't make myself clear. To be clear, I think the My Application Settings feature is a bit of useless fluff added to a good program, and not to be trusted at all. I included the location for the script files because I think looking at those will tend to convince tempted users not to indulge. I only use TI for full partition images, because, as you correctly point out, everything is included.

Regards, CatFan

6. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

No, you were perfectly clear and the way I quoted you in my reply made the situation unclear, if that is clear. :D

I was totally agreeing with you but posing a question to anyone who can us tell just why that "feature" is worth bothering with. There are features that I considered useless but for the way others work they were useful, so I am ready for enlightenment.

7. CatFan432

seekforever,
    :thumb: Crystal. Regards, CF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.