Acronis 10 TI Less than Expected

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Rico, Dec 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hello

Recently I could not boot into Windows xp, so i tried hooking up my external HDD. Inserting the TI 10 boot disk I find, it does not support USB, hence TI10could not see the external HDD.

1. This in my opinion is a big flaw, in TI 10's boot disk & the process of creating a boot disk should include, drivers for USB!

2. At the very minimum Acronis, should make it known that the boot disk does not contain USB drivers, & your external HDD will not work from boot disk. I suggest CAUTION *WARNING*.... Acronis TI is supposes to appeal to a wide variety of user's, so not all will be savy enough to get past this, hence Acronis is not giving user's valuable information. If i would have seen such a warning message, I would have a backed up to DVD's

3. Does BartPE etc. support USB.

Next problems, with the recovery:

Turned out my HDD was bad, or that's what I'm sticking with. The bad HDD is/was 120 gb its replacement is 200 gb. Restore saw or recognized 120 gb. Acronis TI 10 is not smart enough to know there's new empty space. The fix windows disk mgt. now I have a c: & f: HDD drives, kinda stupid c: hdd, d: cd/dvd, e: cd/dvd, f: hdd. If Acronis is going to install, anew, then considerations by Acronis, that users may not replace with the same size drive HDD should be taken. Note replacing an OS & user data, is an anxious time for many users, & adding a degree of frustration/complication, when it could be avoided, need to be addressed.

Image restore had problems/errors, with windows 'restore points', I've since deleted the restore points, errors on restore, only adds to the anxiety level. Acronis in my opinion should lay the restore ponts down, if a problem exists with let windows find it. After all Akron's backed up the problematic restore points

After new image is up & running, device mgr shows (previously none) problems:

Epsom scanner driver problems, try to delete driver, now windows won't allow deletion, as its needed. This was not the case Prue-image restore. Fortunately I was able to update the driver, & point windows to the location of the driver.

I have a really nice sound system on this system & of course the image trashed SB Audit Io's driver. Luckily I was able to delete the driver & software, get the new driver, and all is well. Another problem here is, not all components of the SB driver are needed/wanted, & with allot of futzing around, you get the Sb driver the way you want it. Thanks to Akron's TI 10, I get to do it all over again.

Small problem Cleaner did not work from image. Re-download & all is well. You would think, image would not break programs, when used.

My opinion Akron's should announce 'mission accomplished' on the backup portion of TI 10, and work very hard on the restore portion of the program. With the low cost, continuing popularity of ext. Had's the sub thing should be a priority.

What other surprises are in store for me, with my image? I'm sure a couple weeks from now I'll try to use an ob sure program, only to find it broken.

I almost forgot now my full backup + increments on ext. HDD represent a 120 gb HDD, should I now format the ext. HDD, get a new full backup & new increments? What about the new partition (f:\) is this included in full backup by Acronis by default?

Take Care
    Rico

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Yes BartPE does support USB. http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/. Download one of Mustang's plugins http://www.mechrest.com/plugins/ and away you go.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2006
  3. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the rapid reply! I guess it would be simple for Acronis to incorporate USB support, in it's boot disk.

Take Care
    Rico

4. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

It does include USB support in it's boot disk.
    I can only think that you may have started your boot CD in it's SAFE mode which specifically warns that that mode does not support USB and some other items.
    The normal full mode is the on you need or by all means go the Bart PE route.

Xpilot

5. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hello Xpilot,

Booting from TI 10's boot disk, I was greeted with the message no USB something. When I tried to restore, Acronis error 'no hdd's were detected', that's with the ext. HDD plugged in, turned on, & hooked up. Would TI 10 be dependant on something else to get USB going, which would explain why it failed to recognize the ext. HDD?Take Care
    Rico

6. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

TI does include USB support compiled into the kernel, the problem is that the kernel is not the most up to date Linux Kernel, and therefore some USB devices don't quite work as expected.

If you have your external drive plugged into a front USB port or through an external hub, try;

1. Running the USB direct instead of through a hub.

2. Using the rear ports rather than the front.

On some MB's the front ports either use a different host chip or are only 1.1 instead of 2.

Colin

7. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hello Bodgy,

This kind of useful information should be provided by Acronis, 'readme', or how about a pop-up message, saying try the back USB, something. Why does Acronis go through versions, myself 8, 9, 10, & still have a klunky, erratic boot disk? Do ya think BartPE has a clunky USB? Acronis literature could easily add information on testing, boot disk, even here as a sticky! Don't ya think!

When you actually need to use the boot disk, its panic city, & Acronis does not help by its, sequential (8,9, 10) non improvements on a vital portion of there product!

Okay! I kinda understand the USB thing after the fact! What about the rest of my questions. Where is Acronis, why aren't they responding here!

Thanks & Take Care
    Rico

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.