Acronis 10 - Not possible to UPDATE a backup in Acronis (must add more files/slices?)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by goosebump, May 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goosebump

goosebump Registered Member

Acronis10 - Not possible to UPDATE/REPLACE a backup? (w/o adding files/slices?)

I just bought Acronis Home 10. I used to use Nero back-it-up and would select "update backup" which REPLACES the previous backup (by detecting what has changed - i.e. little has changed, little is updated).

Acronis incremental update seems to add several new files/a slew of updated slices. Is it possible to update one saved folder, without adding new files.

(in other words, in nero, the destination was kept as exact replica of the source - regardless of files added/deleted - yet never recopying the whole source again). Nero was getting a little fickle, so I just wanted something more reputable. If acronis can't do it, can someone recommend something good for this.

really hope someone can help.

Thanks!!! :)

Last edited: May 20, 2007
  2. MTX

MTX Registered Member

Stay away from incremental backups because they are such a pain when attempting a restore.

Do full backup.

3. goosebump

Re: Acronis 10 - Not possible to UPDATE a backup in Acronis (must add more files/slic

Thanks for the reply.

Problem with full back-up is it seems to recopy the entire folder/drive, even if just a few things changed.

Is there anyway to just update the already saved back-up (without creating additional slices, etc)?

Any help most appreciated!!

4. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

If you want to backup just files and folders you can do this with the XCopy command. With the right switches it will backup only changed files once an initial backup is made.

Or you can use something like Karen's Replicator, but I don't know how it handles changed files.

5. goosebump

Re: Acronis 10 - Not possible to UPDATE a backup in Acronis (must add more files/slic

(I hope this doesn't sound dumb) But what is "XCopy command", and what are "switches"? (I'm guessing you don't mean control-x cut/paste manually)

6. goosebump

anyone else?

7. TonysPC

TonysPC Registered Member

"XCopy" is a DOS command. You would have to open a DOS window (click START->RUN then type cmd and click OK.

Switches are parameters that you can type after the xcopy to determine precisely what the command will do.

If you type xcopy /? in the dos box then press ENTER it will display a list of all the available switches so you can customise the action to do what you want to do.

8. MTX

MTX Registered Member

I keep 10 backups on my external drive.

When I create the eleventh image, I'll delete my first image.

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello goosebump,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that as it was already noted Acronis True Image uses incremental/differential backup archives to store data changes made since the last full or incremental backup creation. Incremental/differential backup archives are smaller than initial full backup and take less time to create. Have a look at this article to learn more about incremetal/differential backup archives.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.