Acrobat 6.0 PDF Text search problem ......

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bahjan, Feb 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bahjan

bahjan Registered Member

I have Acrobat 6.0 on my Windows 98se laptop. I have been given some PDF docs on disk, but I discover that with this disk at least, the Acrobat 'Text Search' function will not work. Even if I type in a word I can see on screen in the search box it always comes up with 0 found - very annoying!! moving PDF's to HD seems to make no difference.

I know there are freeware text search programmes around, can anyone recommend a good one? Perferably one which is light on resources......I really only need a simple word search. Thanks

2. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello.

Are you absolutely sure that you're dealing with vector-based pdfs (with fonts embedded)? It is possible that the pdf is completely rasterized and that may be a reason your search query does not come up with any results.

Cheers,

3. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

I dumped Adobe awhile back and now use Foxit Reader. Its a million times faster.

4. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

i 2nd Foxit Reader. would be ideal for 98 as it alot faster. no annoying updater either.

5. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Foxit has a bad search performance.

For this is far better PDF-XChange Viewer.

6. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

It only works on Win 2000 and up :(
    Sometimes Foxit does not work correctly under 98SE and sometimes it crashes.

7. Seer

Seer Registered Member

op mentioned Acrobat, not Acrobat reader. So Foxit is not an alternative. I know it has pdf writer plugin but that's a pay for.

EDIT: Yes, you can beat Adobe in terms of speed and lightness but not in functionality. I agree, Reader is a crap, it should've been lighter and more responsive as it is a simple viewer. Full Acrobat is a totally different thing. My pdfs are associated with Foxit (for quick viewing), but I also have Acrobat for editing and most importantly for Distiller. It gives great outputs.
    For all who think Adobe is slow and heavy, don't forget we're discussing native Mac software here. You should see it there.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.