Ace Utilities?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Wills, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wills

Wills Registered Member

Any members out there that use or have used this program?
    I want to compare it to jv16 Power Tools and see what the differences are and the ease of use.
    Maybe there is a member who has already done my mini-project and can offer some comments?

I am looking for a program that is reasonably safe for the registry, that has the backup feature, cleans out dupe files and also can search for leftovers after an uninstall.
    Presently I am using Reg Supreme to do the Registry cleaning, (by Macecraft on a trial basis and really have been pleased with it) then I saw some discussion on Ace Utilities and would really appreciate some first hand experience comments from members.

thanking you in advance. ;)

2. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Hi Wills,

I use both :)

AU have a better GUI and is very easy to use. All the features works very well and make a good job on you system.
    I think that jv16PT is the best tool in this area...

You will be very well served with these 2 programs...

The new version of jv16PT will be great so you can wait to see and choose what is the best for you. ;)

3. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

Ace Utilities is about the safest utility I've found for registry-cleaning. In default mode, it uses an exceptions list that reduces the likelihood of removing a critical registry item that cripples your system. From the menu you can select 'expert mode' if you wish to clean deeper - with increased risk.

Ace standard functions make routine system maintenance a snap.

The only registry-cleaning mishap I've encountered with Ace is the removal of registry entries for Radrun, as implemented with Omega graphics drivers.

Ace Utilities has no registry-search function - JV16 PowerTools does.

Both excellent. I use Ace Utilities regularly.

Hope this helps!

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I have used AU for nearly 2 years, & I am very satisfied. I switched to it when JV16 went commercial. Also, JV16 is rather aggressive for use by neophytes, whereas AU's *idiot mode* is just fine.

AU is extremely friendly, fast & responsive to support requests, suggested improvements, etc. The only issue I ever had was a minor conflict between AU & DrWeb. Amazingly, AU issued a version update to fix the issue within less than 2 weeks.

I supplement AU (from time to time) with scans by the following excellent freebies -- RegSeeker, HDCleaner, & CCleaner.

By the way, my maiden Auntie Em insists that the first "C" in "CCleaner" stands for either "careful," "complete, "computer," or "cute." NO crap! :p

5. Wills

Wills Registered Member

It definitely sounds like Ace Utilities is for a member like me who is moving on from Novice and yet not really an intermediate, however with all of the surfing and researching that I do I may gain that status in the near future.
    I find all of the prior posts to be most meaningful inasmuch as the jargon used is plain and is not over my head.
    And for this I indeed extend my appreciation.

Right now I use Reg supreme on trial. If I choose Ace Utilities am I correct in understanding that there is a similar program that has a backup and cleans up dupe files and also leftovers from an uninstall?

I understand that in order to get that feature of searching out a program for dupe or remnants by "name' that I have to get the full jv 16 Power Tools.
    Where Ace Utilities has that feature in its umbrella package.

Is this correct. Ace Utilities sounds like it has a great safety net, is that my misinterpretation?
    I tried Reg Supreme as a trial as it was the only one that Macecraft offerred and I was basically interested in a safe program that had a backup that I could check the Registry for dupes and leftovers by the names.

I hope that I will get more comments. Also I hope that I might be able to trial out Ace Utilities which I will have to surf for.

Respectful Regards, :) What I would really like to hear from the prior comments is .....based on my comments what would your comments be in respect of the fundamental differences between the 2 programs.
    I only need one app and I have seen where some owners use both programs.
    They are more than likely advanced users.).....Correct??
    It seems that my needs seem to lean towards Ace Utilities, If I am incorrect I would really appreciate forthright correction!!!! :)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2005
  6. dog

dog Guest

Ace Utilities - http://www.acelogix.com/

7. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Ace has an "undo" feature for the registry cleaner.The Restore tab has the registry cleaning sessions listed by date.
    It works well for me cleaning up after uninstalls.
    Ace also has an Uninstaller which is good for uninstalling other programs.
    Ace has an excellent Junk File Remover and it can be set to remove the files to the recycle bin instead of "Permanently Delete".

I never tried RegSupreme so I can't compare the two programs.
    I do feel that Ace Utilities is a great safety net.I use the standard scanning setting for the registry cleaner and I haven't experienced any problems.

8. feddup

feddup Registered Member

Ace seems has always worked quickly and dependably. If you want to it can be configured to clean more thoroughly even to risky levels. Ace also has a registry defrag and compacter utility that the used to provide free if you purchased ace. Never had a problem yet. Owned about a year.

9. chachazz

chachazz Updates Team

I downloaded the trial yesterday and ran all the different options. I'ts very impressive and a nice program to use.

After a registry clean I ran RegSeeker which found alot more entries. A good cross check.

10. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Ace has an Uninstaller, as noted by *the Tester*. However, I strongly suggest that you use Ace to clean out the trash, & use Total Uninstall to handle uninstallations.

TU is FREE & works best as follows...

_/ Monitor all installs with Total Uninstall (TU). That way, TU can make & retain a detailed record of each & every change that an installation makes to your system.

_/ If you later decide to uninstall the program, do it as follow: (1) Use Control Panel's Add/Remove, (2) Use Total Uninstall to uninstall the program a second time. TU will ignore stuff that has already been removed, & then will remove any left-overs.

NOTE: While uninstalling if a panel pops up & says that such & such a dll file (or whatever) appears to no longer be necessary, & asks if you want to delete it -- ALWAYS answer "No" unless you are VERY sure of what you're doing.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.