accidently deleted truecrypt volume

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by t00ls, Jan 21, 2023.

1. t00ls

t00ls Registered Member

it's been some time since I have been on here. I believe I have shoved the other HDD somewhere where it cant be found, if I find it, I may try to recover it again.

I have once again done it, I accidentally deleted a volume, only this time its 2023 not 2015....I have more knowledge now.

I have now backed up the header to a file, and am in the process of copying all 3.6 TB of data. It will take about 8 hours to do this.

I will tell you the steps I have done so far without compromising my security.

this is a 4TB drive (3.6) seagate and I believe I encrypted before data was on there. it is in GPT style , not MBR, which I think makes this harder. at first, I tested another partition....partition, deleted it and tried to create a simple volume again and mount it, viola, it worked......so I tried to do the same thing to the drive, didnt work......so I started reading some of dantz's thread again

I do have a full working copy of winhex, so I found the start where the header should be, copied a 2GB block, mounted the file.......in winhex, it shows all the folders but some of the data wasnt there, I was able to open 1 file, so I thought all is not lost. I bought another HDD larger so I can create a clone and a file, I am creating the file now, when it is done I will mount it and let you people know the results and maybe go into greater detail about the steps I took

2. t00ls

t00ls Registered Member

okay all my data is there in a file and all of it works .......the file mounted fine.....so the data on the disk should still be good

now even though I have all of that and can access it, I still want to be able to fix the problem of where I deleted the volume with disk managment

I am thinking of putting all zeros in the beginning of the volume...that way there is all zeros up to the start of the header and encryption...anyone got thoughts on that

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.