Accessing Windows Partition

Discussion in 'NTFS for Mac & ExtFS for Mac' started by peat moss, Dec 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peat moss

peat moss Registered Member

Hi, new to the NTFS for Mac product and new to the Mac world generally.

I'm intrigued by the prospect of being able to both read and write to Windows from Mac. I was wondering...Does NTFS for Mac allow one to also launch Windows applications from the Mac side? If not, how are applications different from reading/writing files and folders with regard to file systems/formats?

Could I open a new document in an existing WORD document from the Mac side?

Thanks.

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

The fundamental feature of NTFS for Mac is for you to be able to read and write any files that resides on an NTFS file system, whether it's a Windows partition or an external hard drive. For instance, if you have a document, image, video, or audio file that's on your Windows partition, you can open, edit, and save from your Mac side. However, you cannot launch programs that was installed on the Windows side in Mac; simply not because your Mac can't read or write to the application, but it does not understand since it was written for Windows. But files like documents, images, videos, and audio are universal to both platforms.

3. peat moss

Thank you.

So files are different than applications? When I open a WORD file though, I seem to get a document embedded within the application. All the tool bars and rulers come up as if I was in the actual application. I can open a new blank document. I don't quite understand.

4. Paragon_Tommy

If you open a document from the Windows partition, you're actually just reading the document file, but to read any document file, you need a program that's able understand it. For example if your document is a word file (.doc or .docx), we know that file is created by Microsoft Word. If you were in Windows, you would open that file with Microsoft Word, but in Mac, you have to use another program that can read Microsoft Word, or install the Mac version of Microsoft Word.

5. peat moss

So is NTFS for Mac a program, or is it something else?

What does NTFS for Mac do exactly that allows the reading and writing of a Microsoft file from Mac?

6. Paragon_Tommy

It's a program and driver that lets Mac do more than what it natively can't, and that's write to an NTFS partition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.