Accessing Universal Restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ebariaux, Sep 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ebariaux

ebariaux Registered Member

I've been trying to get access to the universal restore option when restoring a disk image, but I just cannot find it.
    I'm using the latest build of ATI Workstation 9.1 with Universal Option installed (this is reported by the About panel of the application).

Here is the complete scenario.

I had a Sony laptop with 2 partitions, C and D, both having a bootable Windows XP installation. I believe C was the active partition and the standard Windows "boot manager" let me choose which one to boot from.

I backed each partition to a different file using Acronis True Image 8.

The latop was stolen and I now want to restore partition D to an old laptop.
    So what I did was install a new hardrive into this laptop, restore a valid partition C for this laptop with a basic Windows XP installation, making it active.
    Then restore partition D from the old laptop, this partition being primary.

All this was done using ATI 8 and was working OK except that when I boot to partition to partition D, XP hangs loading the drivers, as it now runs on a completly different hardware.

So I purchased ATI workstation 9.1 + Universal Restore, installed it on partition C and run it from there.
    Now when I want to restore partition D image, I follow the different screens, say partition is primary (but not active), say I want letter D assigned to it, .... but I never see a screen asking me if I want to use universal restore, I directly get to the final summary screen with the proceed button.

Could someone point me in the right direction?
    Is there something I am missing?
    Is this a limitation that because my partition is not active I can not use Universal Restore?

Thanks for any help,
    Eric

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Eric,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Workstation Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that Acronis Universal Restore is meant to be used from the Bootable Rescue CD\DVD and not within Windows. That's the most probable reason why the Acronis Universal Restore option does not appear on the corresponding step of the Restore Data Wizard when you try to restore the beforehand created image. In order to achieve your goal you should create a Bootable Rescue Media with Acronis Universal Restore either on a CD or DVD (see Chapter 10 of the Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation User's Guide for details), boot the computer from this CD\DVD and restore the image using Acronis Universal Restore option (see Chapter 7 of the above mentioned User's Guide).

If the above does not help, please follow the instructions provided in this previous post of mine.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

3. ebariaux

ebariaux Registered Member

Thanks,

But I was doing it from a rescue CD, not from Windows. Sorry if this was not clear in my mail.

Eric

4. Fishstick

Fishstick Registered Member

I have the exact same issue, as also detailed here

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.