Accessing TrueCrypt Volume within RAW Drive

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by Hannay, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Hannay

Hannay Registered Member

Windows 7 Home Pro / Truecrypt

Would someone please check my logic ... I have been working through things and am now too close to it and think I am missing something very obvious!

I have a 1TB ext drive. 400GB is a Truecrypt Volume, the rest is a second-backup location for some things in case there is a problem with my first-backup drive.

The TrueCrypt Vol holds business documents/details/data going back over 20 years, and the 'Backups' portion plus two other portable drives contain Work, 1st-backups, and the selective 2nd-backups.

I was moving the second-backups off the 1TB drive to a different location, leaving it as a business-info drive where I could then archive some things as well. It was simple bulk A-to-B transfer stuff.

So afterward it should have been the same drive with just the TC Volume left on it. Instead however there was a window saying there was no file system, that it was a RAW drive, and it needed to be formatted.

I felt however that Win 7 only thought it was RAW when actually it wasn't, and I reasoned that if there was no drive-letter Windows wouldn't prompt me to format and I could mount the Volume and go from there! But I couldn't check that out because with no drive letter Windows didn't see the drive so I couldn't point to it to mount it!

To verify that the TC Volume was still there I used "icare Data Recovery Pro" which can see RAW data and easily found all the moved-off normal folders/files which it offered to recover.

It also found a separate 400GB 'file' present which was the TC Volume with the correct dates, size etc., which I copied-off in order to mount it but all that happened was the "Incorrect password or not a TrueCrypt Volume" window appeared. But the password was fine, and the TC Volume is good copied direct off the drive it has been stored on!

SO .....

... what am I missing please?

I have the TC Volume clearly sitting on its drive inside a RAW fog - can I make Win 7 see it so I can mount it?

Separately I also have the TC Volume on its own, but TC either doesn't recognise the correct password or it thinks it isn't a TC Volume. I'm sure there must be a way to get that mounted? I haven't yet tried the "check/restore volume header" option in TC, but after that I am out of ideas!

If someone more expert and clear-headed than I am can point to what I am overlooking, or can suggest a way to mount/access the TC Volume whether on its original ext drive or just sitting on my desktop as a standalone file, I'd be massively grateful!

Thanks so much.

2. Hannay

Hannay Registered Member

Just a quick follow-on this morning after some much overdue sleep!

I misunderstood the "Restore Volume Header" option last night, so that's not relevant.

I have just tried my final option to "use backup header embedded in volume if available", however no change - still the popup window stating "Incorrect password or not a TrueCrypt Volume" ... neither of which is the case.

So now I am formally beyond my limit of experience and ability!

Any observations or workarounds that could lead either to making the alleged RAW (suspected not) drive readable by Windows so I could mount the TC Volume there, or to an ability to mount the same TC Volume that I was able to extract/copy/recover from that drive using icare Data Recovery Pro, would be a total lifesaver.

Thanks if you can contribute anything.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.