Accessing MEGA via TOR?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by TheRussian, Apr 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheRussian

TheRussian Registered Member

When you try to access mega.co.nz it says that your browser can't write data so it wouldn't work.

Is there a way to make it work?
    I wouldn't mind taking a cookie of two, or some JS or HTML5 from this site. But I'm not sure this is the problem in this case?

2. JohnMatrix

JohnMatrix Registered Member

Some sites block tor exit nodes for some reason. But if you can access mega and some parts of the site don't work you could check to see if noscript is running. By default the tor browser bundle enables (or did in the past) the noscript extension causing javascript code to fail. The failure could also be because of restrictive localstorage rights, i.e. tor browser bundle might prevent mega from writing persistent local storage data.

I'm using another upload site, www.file1.info, because it allows FTP uploads and HTML4 uploads and HTML5 (chunked) uploads so I can choose whatever I want depending on my situation: FTP when connected to a VPN, HTML4 upload with TOR and HTML5 upload with recent browsers where I have javascript enabled.

3. TheRussian

I tried with secured Firefox (JonDo browser) it gives the same thing.
    ANd i've enabled JS and cookies for it.
    What else it might be needing?

4. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Use a VPN through Tor, and a regular Linux VM with Firefox as client.

But MEGA via Tor would be SLOW ;)

5. TheRussian

the real machine would be on VPN through tor, and the virtual one will be used just for it's firefox client, is that right mirimir?
    That's geniuss! :)

6. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

With just a host and one VM, I'd run Tor on the host and a VPN in the VM. But then your ISP would see that you're running Tor. Better would be running one VPN (call it VPN1) on the host, and the Whonix VMs (with Tor running on the gateway VM), and a different VPN (VPN2, free or paid with well-laundered Bitcoins) running on the Whonix workstation. That way, your ISP would just see VPN1, and websites would just see VPN2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.