Accessing EXT3 external harddrive connected to the front USB of the ReadyNAS Pro from Windows

Discussion in 'Paragon File System Drivers' started by nowthenparagon, Jul 6, 2016.

1. nowthenparagon

nowthenparagon Registered Member

The Netgear ReadyNAS Pro (Linux inside I presume) allows for its data to be backed up to an external harddrive connected to the front USB port of the the ReadyNAS. In the past I have always formatted the external drives as NTFS and my backups always had errors as a result. However, I have always been able to use a Windows server to navigate, using Windows Explorer, across the network to My Network Places\readynaspro\usb_hdd_1 and have full access to the backed up files on the USB external HDD.
    We now have some new, larger harddrives (8TB) and I have formatted my first one as EXT3. I would like to have the same access to the files and folders as I had with the NTFS drives. Remarkably I seem to be able to view and even open some of the backed up files. However, I don't seem to be able to create any folders for instance. My problem is that I would like to be able to make changes to the folder structure on the external drive, so that I can put different backups into different folders etc. So, in the past I have been able to do this kind of thing from my Windows server using windows explorer and expanding: My Network Places\readynaspro\usb_hdd_1

I downloaded Ext2 File System Driver (Ext2FSD). However, this does not seem to have a facility for me to navigate to the usb_hdd_1 to mount that.

Will ExtFS allow me full access to an ext3 external hard drive (connected via USB to the ReadyNAS) over the network?

Thank you

2. nowthenparagon

nowthenparagon Registered Member

OK, I was thinking about this all wrong. The ReadyNAS Pro must be running Samba so I ought to be able to read and write using windows explorer across the network when the external hard drive is connected to the ReadyNAS Pro. I was just experiencing some strange glitches.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.