Accessing ext. encrypted USB hard disc with TrueCrypt possible ? Idea

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mattad, Aug 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattad

mattad Registered Member

Ok, Acronis TrueImage offers access of external hard discs.

However when the external hard disc is encrypted the user has a problem.
    I am using the wide spread and well known TrueCrypt (freeware, OpenSource) encryption software available from here:

http://www.truecrypt.org/

I would appreciate if I could at least do the following:

1.) Create the Emergency Rescue CD
    2.) Rip it off to an ISO archive file on my hard disc
    3.) Insert somewhere the truecrypt.sys encryption file driver + TrueCrypt.exe
    4.) Insert command line commands somewhere in an autostart.bat on the Rescue CD similar to

set /p encypteddrive=Enter encrypted drive
    set /p mappeddrive=Enter mapped drive
    TrueCrypt /v %encrypteddrive%:\ /l%mappeddrive% /a /q /mrm

After execution of these additonal commands the encrypted drive is accessible as a normal external USB Hardisc to the new drive letter %mappeddrive%
    (e.g. K:\)

5.) Burn the modified ISO CD

Unfortuantely I don't know where to put the TrueCrypt files and where to insert the additional command (there is no autostart.bat)

Can someone help me ?

Maybe there is a workaround for this problem.

Matt

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Short answer is that you can't do it with the Acronis Rescue CD environment. There is no way for a user to insert "stuff".

Your best bet would be to make a BartPE bootable CD. It is a stripped down Windows environment. You can add drivers and do customization in its configuration. A TI 9 plugin for BartPE is included in the TI distribution file. You have to do something like a Complete install for the plugin and related files to be installed in the Acronis folder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.